OT: Books to read.

I've been doing some reading lately on WW2 tactical combat. I've enjoyed reading some books based on suggestions from this group. Now I'd like to return the favor:

Infantry Combat: The Rifle Platoon by John F. Antal

and

Armor Attacks: The Tank Platoon by John F. Antal

I picked up the Rifle Platoon book and Barnes and Nobles and was pleasantly surprised by it. I will definitely purchase the Armor Attacks book now that I've finished it.

Basically, it's "an interactive exercise in small-unit tactics and leadership." If anyone here is Generation X, you might remember reading books as a kid called, "Choose Your Own Adventure." When I was a kid, I used to devour that series of books. Well, in a nutshell, these books are like the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series with army tactics. You assume the role of a platoon second lt. in the book and you have to make tactical decisions on how to lead your men. Your decisions will ultimately spell victory or utter defeat. It is modern day combat, post Gulf War. It is an excellent read and has really opened my eyes to tactical strategy. Something that we'll need in Combat Mission. Just to keep this post slightly on topic. smile.gif Check it out if you've got the dinero. Enjoy.

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Too add to the list...

"THOSE DEVIL'S IN BAGGY PANTS" by Ross J. Carter.

This book traces the combat journey of a squad/platoon/company in the 504th parachute Infanrty regt. (PIR) of the US 82d Airborne Division in WWII from North Africa to Germany.

Ross Carter wrote it from his own experiences...it is HIS squad (etc). For my money as a later Airborne Veteran, this is well done. biggrin.gif It is available in paperback.

I heartily endorse both Antal books. I have read both and they are very good thought provokers, and pretty good stories, too.

For WWII I suggest...

"Seven Roads to Hell: A Screaming Eagle at Bastogne" by Donald Burgett

"The Road to Arnhem" also by Donald Burgett

He has a third on the Normandy drop titled "Currahee!".

All are excellent small unit accounts and a good airborne trooper's view of the world at that time. As I understand it, it is mostly first hand accounts from the author's own notes which he laid down in 1946 or thereabouts. Not published until the 1990's I believe. Numerous top notch scenarios and operations just waiting to happen!

[This message has been edited by Howitzer (edited 03-09-2000).]

I remember those "choose your own adventure" books...

I just finished "The Clay Pigeons Of St. Lo." It's all first hand acount of a battalion commander in the 29th Inf. Div.

I greatly recommend it.

Read "Beyond The Beachhead" first, then this one.

I need to read some stuff on the British airborne, looking to get Pegasus(sp?)Bridge and one on Arnhem.

There was this one book I saw at Barnes and Nobel's one day, I just glanced at it 'cause I was broke, but it was called, "If You Survive." It looked to be first person fiction, but may have been a personal account. Has anyone read that?

I want to read "THe Men Of K Company."

Lately anything dealing w/ the 29th inf. div.

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

"Tomorrows killed by yesterday..." -Link80

Go to my soldiers at war page~!! http://www.geocities.com/soldiersat_war or I'll sick a goat on you!

I think Col. Frost (1st Abn, Arnhem) put out a book called a "Drop too Many". Couldn't find it, but heard it was good.

Another well reviewed Market-Garden book: "It Never Snows in September"-written from the German perspective.

Also great reading (but it was printed in 1945 and I greedily guard my copy) "Arnhem Lift" by Louis Hagen. Actually written by a Brit. glider pilot who went into Arnhem as a diary almost. smile.gif

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by All American:

Archangel, where can you get the book THOSE DEVILS IN BAGGY PANTS?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AA,

Just for you smile.gif I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and looked for it. Nada!

I got my copy more than thirty years ago..I am pretty sure I got it at the Eighty-Second Ariborne Division museum at Ft, Bragg, N.C. when I was stationed there.

The book was published in 1947 or so because Carter died of cancer not long after he returned from the war in 45 or 46. He had been badly wounded in the latter days of the war...if I recall, he was hit by a 20mm AA gun being used in a ground defense role.

Anyway...try Ft. Bragg...then try Amazon and Ebay. The suggested readings by Howitzer and Servo are also wonderful choices and probably more easily available since they were only recently published. I am pretty sure Amazon or B&N will have them.

Pls let me kow how you fare.

Guest Babra

Despite my army origins (I was a breech baby smile.gif), nothin' gets my dander up like a good sea story. I like sailor books.

------------------

It's "BAB-ra!"

Correction!

In my post on the 101st books (The Road to Arnhem, Seven Roads to Hell, etc.) I butchered the author's name. I spelled it Charles Baggett (do'h! eek.gif ).

The correct spelling is: DONALD BURGETT! smile.gif

My apologies to a gifted writer and honored veteran! cool.gif

Steve C.