question about dud rounds

dalem

Did a cursory search and ran into that painful 'MG Mannershemp' thread - whew! Enough to put me off my feed and I'm not reading through that one again... yikes!

Anyway - I'm in the midst of battling the AI over a little village and a volley or three of bazooka misses made me realize I've never thought about 'dud' rounds with respect to CM.

Are there any? Doesn't seem so - every round that's supposed to go 'bang' seems to do so somewhere along the trajectory.

I have no clue as to what the frequency of dud rounds really was, but I have read little blurbs about how the HEAT warheads of the day weren't 100% reliable.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) were dud rounds common enough to be factored into CM, and

2) if so, are they?

Enquiring minds want to know. Or I do, at least.

Thanks!

-dale

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dalem:

1) were dud rounds common enough to be factored into CM, and<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2) if so, are they?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that I've noticed.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 09-10-2000).]

Duds are usually a problem with the fuze failing to work as advertised. I know this happens to some extent in CM because sometimes VT rounds explode on the ground, leaving craters, instead of all in the air.

Thus, I'd assume failures are modeled for other types of fuze. Ever wonder why you land an HE shell on top of a running squad in the open and it doesn't even get "Alerted"? Maybe the shell was a dud, as in it had a blast strength of 0, but all shells use the same explosion graphics so you can't tell except from the lack of damage done.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

A lot of German duds were because of sabotage. I remember reading that when slave laborers were forced to make panzerfausts, they would mix sand in with the explosive, which would keep it from detonating. If one worker can sabotage 50 panzerfausts a day on the assembly line, that works out to an awful high percentage of defective fausts, maybe enough to be modeled by CM.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton