Flukiest kill?

I've been playing a PBEM game that seems to have had more than its share of odd combat results--like armored cars following a Hunt command that continue to advance until they pass alongside their target and mutually strafe each other to death--but I just saw my oddest result yet!

Unless my opponent tells me differently, it appears that the two-man crew of a destroyed jeep managed to take out a 251 halftrack from the front at 15 meters range with their pistols. Now, the .45 ACP is a wonderful sidearm and I've fired many a round though one over the years, but military ball ammunition couldn't penetrate even the 10mm of upper hull armor on the halftrack even on a good day! Neither halftrack crewman was killed, so there's no possibility of a casualty suffered through the open top. The crew were Regulars and hadn't broken or suffered any morale setbacks to date, but the only explanation I can come up with barring a revelation from my opponent of a secret fire source is that they opted to abandon the vehicle because of the incoming pistol fire. Given that they had been machinegunning the snot out of the jeep crew for a minute or so prior to the bailout, I find this ironic, to say the least!

[This message has been edited by Iconoclast (edited 07-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Grenade?

Is the unit credited with the kill?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't yet heard back from my opponent, so I don't know whether the unit is credited with a kill or not. No explosion was observed, and I don't *think* crews have grenades.

That same turn, four battered engineers took out a 251/1 (15mm frontal armor) with three M-1's and a Tommygun. Again, no grnade or satchel chargeexplosion, the halftrack was in good morale, and in fact had the engineers driven prone by the volume of its incoming machinegun fire when my crew suddenly bailed out. It wasn't a good turn for German light armor, especially since those were my last 'tracks! Time to go onto the defensive...