AI and LOS

I saw some interesting AI behavior, and I wondered if the vets on the board could shed any light on it. I did a search but found nothing.

I was playing a scenario against the AI in which I had emplaced some AT guns with fairly narrow but long LOS's to positions that I thought the enemy AFVs would occupy for fire support.

I guessed right in one case, and whacked a Mk IV. His panzer buddies then cleverly cruised to positions that were exactly optimal for providing fire support against my infantry while at the same time avoiding exposure to my gun. After two turns of blasting, they then advanced into the gun's LOS and happily died. (And I was happy for them.)

So it seemed to me that two things were happening here. (1) The AI seems to be able to anticipate the LOS to and from a particular position with precision, even before it has a unit there. (2) As others on the board have observed, the AI will sometimes "forget" about an out of sight threat after a turn or two.

I'm cool with both of these features, but I'm curious as to whether others have seen these things happen consistently enough to take them into account when fighting the AI.

Final question. Generally, I find that the AI is a lot better than I(a newbie) am at doping out the LOS of a position before it gets there. (For example, figuring out how to use a slope to concentrate fires on one of my tanks and leaving the others without a LOS back -- even though my other tanks are close by.) Any tricks for determining the LOS from positions you don't occupy (other than camping there in 1 view, which I've tried with only mediocre success)?

------------------

Also los, Augen zu, und hinein!

You'll see the AI make "mistakes" and wander into your LOS when it could have avoided it so I don't think it's really cheating.

As far as evaluating LOS for locations that you don't occupy - you get better with experience but it's never foolproof, there's no sure fire way of doing it.

p.