Spoiler - An AI "Glitch" Explained?

I just finished playing the gold version of CE. I played the beta version twice, so I had an idea of what to expect, and pasted the AI 99 to 1 (Axis: 185 Casualties (58 KIA), 29 Captured, 3 Vehicles KO, Men OK 40. Allies: 8 casualties (3 KIA), Men OK 224). I essentially just ran forward, ambushed the StuGs (one Sherman got all three), and then hung back and used the Shermans to blow the bejeezus out of the now-unsupported German infantry. The 40 OK men the Germans had all escaped off the field way they came in, with a couple of Shermans firing into the flank of the retreat. The AI surrendered about turn 30.

Anyway, looking over the battlefield, I noticed many eliminated HQ units, but few squads. In the big clump of trees east of the church, there were eliminated markers for 4 Platoon HQs, 1 Company HQ, the arty spotter, a panzerschreck, an MG42, and only one squad of Volksgrenadiers. Nearby, the Battalion HQ and another schreck were eliminated. On the main woodsy hill north of the church (with the victory location on it), there were eliminated markers for 5 Platoon HQs, 1 Company HQ, 3 schrecks, and 2 SMG squads.

I thought maybe I was having the same problem the AI appeared to have in the beta where it seemed to attack with unsupported HQ units. However, then I noticed that on the backside of that woodsy hill were 4 SMG and 2 Volksgrenadier squads. Most of them were green or conscripts, and all were broken or routed. Then I realized what had happened. The HQ units were likely a little tougher, and so hung in there instead of running. Assuming damage was distributed equally, they had fewer men, and so were eliminated where a full squad would break and run with a few survivors. This also explains why there were support teams, like MGs and so many schrecks, piled in with the HQs.

So, it is not that the AI was attacking with its HQ units. It is that its HQ units were leading low-quality units, and those units were stripped away or ran, leaving the HQs to fend for themselves. It also is that when the heavy fire came in, the HQs and the support units were blown completely away, and the remaining broken squadmembers took off running. I can imagine the scared green troops and conscripts breaking for the rear, with their leaders either dead or yelling at them to stay.

I love this game.

Guest entec

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supertanker:

So, it is not that the AI was attacking with its HQ units. It is that its HQ units were leading low-quality units, and those units were stripped away or ran, leaving the HQs to fend for themselves. It also is that when the heavy fire came in, the HQs and the support units were blown completely away, and the remaining broken squadmembers took off running. I can imagine the scared green troops and conscripts breaking for the rear, with their leaders either dead or yelling at them to stay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few comments on the AI; I have noticed that the AI will almost consistently send tanks forward without infantry support; it will also continue to send squads into buildings in which during the prior turn another squad was butchered.

A game interface note, Mouse /camera movement could be improved if it was more like MYTH were the upper and lower corners turn the camera and left and right slide the camera.

Supertanker!

I support your theory. I saw surrendered US units being butchered because their nearby HQ refused to give up (they got caught in the crossfire). I really pitied those poor suckers.

------------------

Combat Axiom #49. It could be worse. It could be me.