O/T Minature gaming & Rules

Guest Hack022

Guest Hack022

Hi All,

CM has revived my interest in micro armour and minature gaming. I've been away from this for sometime so i'm looking for input on the rule sets people are using these days. I've found a number of them on the net but feedback on the playability of the rules tend to be lacking. Essentially what I'm looking for is:

1)what is your favorite set of rules for WW2 micro armour(upto 25mm).

2)why

3)what scale can they be used for(1/285, 15mm etc...)

4)what level are the rules at(skirmish, platoon, company etc...)

Thanks,

Hack022

Hack-

I just got into Miniatures a couple of years ago but currently I'm using Spearhead for big-scale stuff (each stand is a platoon) and I've converted ASL to the tabletop for squad-level stuff.

In my opinion, Spearhead is a great core system that suffers in the details, but it's so simple that it's relatively easy to modify to your tastes. I think of it as GURPS for WWII Division- level combat.

ASL, well, if you like it, you like it, and if you hate it, you hate it. I think it's fantastic and converts to the tabletop very easily.

I use all 15mm right now, but will start doing Spearhead in Microarmor eventually.

-dale

Guest Scott Clinton

Battleground is the hands down best for company level 1/72 scale stuff.

Now if you want skirmish, it would have to be "Point Blank"...but then again I may be biased a little wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

SS-

I use 3" to the hex. A lot of hemming and hawing over that, but it lets me play a "2-board game" on a couple of tables, basic infantry movement is 12" even, etc. With 15mm and my inch-square basing for infantry you can get about the same 'stacking' you'd see on a hexboard.

It works very well, I think. Once I get it formalized I'd be happy to email you my mods.

-dale

Guest Scott Clinton

Battleground can be found in most mini stores or gotten off the net via thier site (http://www.battlegroundwwii.com/).

Point Blank is my set of rules...I will try to compile the latest and fire off a zip to you sometime next week...make sure your profile is up to date (for email purposes).

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 04-30-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

No problem. Perhaps someday I will be able to complete them...still lacking quite a few AFVs IIRCC. But with no opponent the modivation is just not there. frown.gif

Hack022 Your email is not valid on this forum...so I can't send you a copy. Drop me aline and I will get you a copy too if you want.

------------------

I use 'Rapid Fire' myself which is suited for 20mm figures. There's also a Spanish Civil War variant available which is my main interest apart from the Normandy campaign.

Is it only me that thinks CM looks like a miniatures game converted to the computer whereas other games seem like board game adaptions? Good thing I say smile.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

This topic reminds me of something I though of when I first heard Steve and Fionn tell us we had to 're-learn' our gaming due to the 3D nature of CM.

Not so for us old mini-gamers, huh? I guess we will see if those of that have concentrated mainly on miniatures over the decades will have a 'dimension advantage' over those used to thinking only of two dimensions and hexagons...we will see. wink.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SS_PanzerLeader:

Hi Dalem,

What scale do you use the ASL conversion for? I have a tun of 1/72 scale stuff smile.gif Haven't found any rules I like yet :P

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually there is no conversion nessisary for ASL. What you need to do it though is measure the distance on an ASL Deluxe board from center point to center point to find out what 1 unit of movement is. Bypass, gets a little tricky, but hey that's why they developed deluxe ASL...

The scale for ASL is in the back of the ASL Rule Book. The only other thing you need to do is get some AFV cards from MMP to keep track of the information about your AFVs. These are sold by nationality and are pretty hard to come by...But i bet if you ask someone on the ASLML they could tell you what info is on those cards so you can make some homemade ones.

Then ya just use the informational counters like you would in the boardgame! No problem!

Keith