ASL Conversions - a long, rambling, self important speech

Great thread guys. Before this thread I was thinking about some of the things that are being discussed such as copyright, whether to be as faithful to the original design or drift somewhat off, etc.

A couple of questions. What board dimensions do you use when translating to CM. Hex dimension is 400x1280 but actual dimension is 400x1120? I have done it both ways but I felt it was a little easier to spread out the board some when doing it on 1280 then squishing it in on 1120. At least it seemed easier. Of course I was doing the translation by eyeballing it and others are apparently getting more accurate results with a print screen and photoshop, etc. Also anyone use sharpshooters as SAN in their translations and if so why? I have skipped on them so far because ASL snipers cannot move on their own, spot, etc and I feel that it just gives the player unnecessary spotters, firepower and nuisance factor.

Harold

On the sniper question, Berli and I use them often. Typically we use a SAN of 3 or 4 to represent one sniper, and higher SANs to represent two or more snipers. The quality of the sniper is usually equal to that of the squads in its unit, or is occasionally one step better. I think they add a fun dimension to the scenarios.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne:

CM is a 3D simulation of combat, ASL is a war game, not a simulator.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. Back in my day.... smile.gif

ASL was called a combat simulation.

CM is a simulation of combat just as much as ASL. They are both games, that use different types of media to get their point across. Is one better than the other? Of course! But, that will depend on who you are talking too! smile.gif

Are playing minatures considered a simulation, or is that a wargame? Minatures are TRUE 3D, but I wouldn't call that any more of a simulation than CM, ASL, or even Paintball.

They are all games. The only true simulation of combat, is actual combat... but then, it's not fun when someone starts shooting to kill for real.

Thoughts?

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harold:

Hey guys,

Right now I am in the midst of converting Gavin Take, Merzenhausen Zoo, Celles Melee, Tiger Route and Hill 621 (yes that Hill 621) and I am trying to stay as faithful to the original as possible. It is just waiting for the Russians biggrin.gif.)

Harold<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harold,

I don't care, Hill 621 was my favorite scenario. Bring it on! Maybe you can substitute Polish or basic British infantry for the Russians. You can replace the SP guns with Churchills. Heh heh.

smile.gif

Pat,

There are plenty of scenarios that used boards 1-4. I will see if I can find some that use the same configuration that might look fun. I find scenario editing quite interesting and there were a couple of original designs that I had that I never could really quite fit into ASL terms because the boards did not exist for how I visualized the terrain. I will have to dig them out. I do need to balance the play/convert/design ratio out some though. Since I got the game I figure 90% of my time has been in editor mode smile.gif.