Corn Fields

I was looking at the latest beta AAR and saw that the corn fields were completely flat , i.e. no corn. Although they were a yellow corn colour; I was just wondering if in the final version of the game there will be corn?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owen:

I was looking at the latest beta AAR and saw that the corn fields were completely flat , i.e. no corn. Although they were a yellow corn colour; I was just wondering if in the final version of the game there will be corn? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, there was a discussion about it some time ago, try doing a search. The outcome was that although the corn looks flat, it is modeled for LOS/cover purposes (yeah, this sheath of wheat is really going to stop a stream of 7.92 bullets) smile.gif. I think it had something to do with CPU load. So the look from Fionn's AAR would be the final look. Maybe Steve could say something on this.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Madmatt

Yes, it is in fact meant to simulate wheat. And from my research on the subject, don't ask why but trust me, I visited many many European farm websites in order to accomplish something that you will see once you get the game...Man, that opens up so many possiblities for jokes... biggrin.gif

In reality it seems that there was a lot of fields and farms that would grow flax, barley and wheat all in adjacent fields (along with some other small crops) but that is SOOOO FAAAARRRR out of CM's scope that it's pointless to even think about it. This is Combat Mission, not Seasonal Crop Mission...

Now then, CM does model two styles of wheat with two seperate graphic tile sets. The normal Summer Wheat and the shorter somewhat darker Winter Wheat. Visually they are similar but for game mechanincs I "believe" that Winter Wheat gives less concealment as its less tall then the Summer Wheat crop. The fields aren't quite fallow but just don't have the consistancy of the Summer Wheat...

The texture for wheat (actually in the game its called GRAIN BTW) is like any terrain texture in that its FLAT, or has no depth. The CPU hit to render flowing rows of wheat would be out of this world and there are far better things to suck up CPU cycles with... wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

[bThis is Combat Mission, not Seasonal Crop Mission...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What?!? eek.gif No support for multiple crops and crop rotation? I suppose that farmers' daughters aren't simulated either. smile.gif

I may have to cancel my pre-order for Combat Mission and wait for Seasonal Crop Mission. biggrin.gif

-Lurker

Guest Big Time Software

There are also UI issues with this as well. No open expanse of terrain in CM has height that can be moved through. So what happens if we had height to the wheat and your guys go prone to crawl or something? How are you going to see them? There are only two ways we can think of...

Have a "roof" like with buildings. But we think this would look pretty odd and itself very artificial. So the coding effort looks to bring us little benefit.

Have a transparent top when a unit is in it. Similar to above, but better looking. Unfortunately, it also obscures units a bit and transparency is NOT an option for many video cards or systems due to speed. So this isn't a solution that can work across the board.

Trust me, if we thought we could have height to the wheat fields it would already be in the game. But I think we are going to have to wait until we can do the transparancy option safely. Maybe CM2, but perhaps it will have to wait until CM3.

Steve

Guest Germanboy

Now all this raises the question:

How high is the wheat? Modern crop varieties (in Germany at least) are considerably smaller than the ones even 25 years ago, because of breeding aimed to prevent storm damage. Not a lot to hide in, really.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Scott Clinton

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">

<TITLE>Trust me, if we thought we could have height to the wheat fields it would already be in the game</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<DIR>

<DIR>

<FONT FACE="Arial" SIZE=2>

Trust me, if we thought we could have height to the wheat fields it would already be in the game. </P>

</FONT><FONT SIZE=2></DIR>

</DIR>

I can see why this would be a problem for crops (too bad really). But what about "Rubble". </P>

I was always under the impression that when units moved into a ruined building (i.e. "Rubble") they were in effect crawling/walking over the ruins, not 'immersed' in them as they would be with crops. Is the 'cover' effect sufficiently high for "Rubble" as to basically represent troops 'burrowing' into the debris? Or was this just another 'bell/whistle that fell by the wayside?</P></FONT></BODY>

</HTML>

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Big Time Software

Partly a bell and whistle that fell by the wayside smile.gif The CM rubble, as it is now, is slightly raised. It is sorta like a shallow mound.

High on our list for CM2 is a total redo of the buildings. This will yield better rubble, like individual standing walls instead of an entire collapse. But it was just one thing too many for CM 1.

Andreas, I honestly don't know what the height is for the wheat fields. I *think* it is 1.5 meters, but I could be mistaken.

Steve

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Andreas, I honestly don't know what the height is for the wheat fields. I *think* it is 1.5 meters, but I could be mistaken.

/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Steve, I just thought it might be good to know what you can actually hide in there. The height sounds about right, from what I can remember from my childhood days.

------------------

Andreas