quick question about Tac Ops

reconNinja

Can I play as a civilian via internet? As opposed to a military faction, just walk around with a 'concealed carry' weapon? Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but I think it would be more fun. And if this information can be found elsewhere, then I apologize for wasting time and space, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks.

Originally posted by reconNinja:

Can I play as a civilian via internet? As opposed to a military faction, just walk around with a 'concealed carry' weapon? Sorry if this question sounds stupid, but I think it would be more fun. And if this information can be found elsewhere, then I apologize for wasting time and space, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks.

not so much a concealed weapon, but you can play as a civilian. We had a network game with one player as civilian, one as OPFOR, one as BLUE, and me as umpire as Green (UN Peacekeepers). But the Rules of Engagement make it possible to be friendly and then not so friendly...

word of warning though - it's not too fun as a civilian player when the heavies start taking shots at you in self defence ;)

redwolf: I think the demo is v4.05AH - has all the additions to the Aussie forces anyways. Just think it doesn't have the loading things implemented.

Oh, Ninja was asking about civilians *in* the game, not the civilian version of the game?

In that case, the deal is that you have a lot of civilian units in the game (people, groups, cars, trucks, bombs), armed or unarmed.

In multiplayer, you can have up to eight forces (colors) in TacOps. The umpire can set each color as hostile or not hostile to each other.

Now, the scenario you describe would go as follows: the umpire sets up a game with three or more colors. Blue and red are normal military forces, hostile to each other and battle around the map as they see fit. The green force is made of civilians and by default not hostile to anyone. The umpire is free to change the hostility status of green versus blue or red or both at any time, at which point they would open fire at that other color.

Each other color's player may also decide to open fire on a marker which is belonging to a friendly color (which of course will trigger a nonfriendly reaction from that color unless the player is sleeping). An example scenario would be that your blue column is passing some civilians while search for red. You see the civilian markers pass by which may be unarmed, or they may have pistols, rifles, MGs, anything. Now, lets say you were passing a bunch of rifle-only markers and now you come pass a civil markers of a BM-21 rocket launcher (the people living in the area got it when the Soviets left or something). You report it to your Blue commander (assuming Blue is played by more than one person) and he decides "ok, this is all nice and game, but I am not going to let them have a MLR, of they later decide they don't like us they will hurt pretty badly". He orders the Blue player who's column passed these markers to destroy the BM-21.

I certainly wish I had done so in the Flaherty beta test CPX, we (Blue) were passing some civilians, amoung them HMG trucks. I was guarding our flank towards them and had some M1s, but we decided not to engage them. After our thin AAA vehicles passed by and the M1s turned to leave they shot us in the back, leaving us without the AA vehicles.

Anyway, at that point, when you destroyed a non-hostile target for whatever reason, since the whole thing is multiplayer and each force uses IRC to communicate, the Blue or Green commanders can start calling each other, requesting to talk about the situation, as in "sorry, no offense, but we really didn't like your MLR, the color hurt my eyes" or "what was that about, you want to piss us off? We demand wiskey and playboy as compensation".

Also, Red will be pretty puzzled about shooting and explosions somewhere on the map where no Red unit is involved.

As for the original question, there are no concealed weapons, if a civilian marker is armed you can see the arms. However, the umpire can fix that too, if you need it. He could place unarmed markers initially and when green gets hostile he could exchange the unarmed units with armed ones in the middle of the game.