O/T The Ancient Art of War

I recently stumbled upon an Abandonware site that has old/no longer available games for download. And came across the classic and SUn Tzu's Acient ARt of War game! This will pass the time for those waiting for Cm (who isn't!)

http://www.gamingdepot.com/Ancientwaren.htm

its small too biggrin.gif

ANd features startegy gaming at its purest form smile.gif There a 8 AI general modelled on real life generals in their fighting style, SUn Tzu is tough! Go download it, you'll love it! I used to play this on the MAc at Graphic Design school during breaks....

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

I remember the Ancient Art of War -- played it on an old Mac 512 in college, IIRC. I can tell you how to improve your performance: we called it the "Bob Hope" technique.

My memory is a bit hazy, but basically troops in the game got fatigued when they fought, and when they were tired, they moved slower and fought less effectively. This effect was used to balance (or unbalance) the game at higher difficulty levels (i.e. against "better" opponent generals). So while you could beat up on Gen. Mortimer Snerd (forget who the incompetent general was) and hardly lose any stamina, any battle against Sun Tzu's troops would leave your men panting on the ground.

To counter this, my friend and I came up with the "Bob Hope" technique. This approach relies on the ability to split units up and rejoin them. Before a battle, we'd take a single soldier and detach him from the army (call this soldier "Bob Hope"). The rest of the army goes and fights, and afterward they are panting and wheezing. Enter Bob Hope. The fatigued army joins Bob Hope's unit, and presto! they are all back up to full strength again. (It's important not to have Bob join the army or else you don't get the benefit.)

That was a pretty neat game, and came with a map/scenario editor that added a lot to replay value. There was a similar game, Ancient Art of War at Sea that I have also. Won't run on modern systems, of course.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest PeterNZ

AAoW At Sea was one of my favourite games, and damn if noone has come up with anything quite so fun and adictive in naval strategy in a long time!

PeterNZ

Colin I did own a mac version - but it got lost when I left Graphic Design school ;( I didn't have a mac, so I only played it at college tongue.gif

I will have to try AA of war at SEa, I've sseen it at another site, and they also have the ACient ARt of WAr in the AIr!!! biggrin.gif

Omega was fun! I played that on my AMiga way back - I even learned how to code very well on it too. I developed some very complex AI code for that game - I've seen it on a site - I'll go get the url for anyone who is interested...may need an AMiga emulator or something if there is no PC version

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

I was just browsing through my games shelf and hey!!

I still have IRON CROSS! Any CM player will be able to relate to this game! I'll fire up the game, and refrsh my memory and put up a mini review wink.gif and some screenies.

I'm not sure on the legality of stuff that is no longer avaible, and in which the company no longer exists. but if its ok I can also make it avaible for download later on.

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

I across a patch for Iron Cross!

Subj: UPGRADE: Iron Cross update and Scenarios

Date: April 10, 1995

This update is for the Iron Cross computer game, in the IBM format.

It provides new sound drivers as well as other enhancements. The most

exciting part of this update is the includes 6 new scenarios for the Iron

Cross game, complete with a full historical backround for each battle.

http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/patches/ic_patch.html

also - I found this in the patch readme smile.gif

We hope you enjoy playing Iron Cross as much as we have enjoyed

creating it. It now gives us great pleasure to announce that a

sequel is under development.

Tentatively, look for the following features/changes in Iron Cross 2

Setting - The Russian front.

Platform - DOS and/or Windows.

Multiplayer - Head to Head real time play via modem or network.

Graphics - Fully 3D rendered, should be very attractive.

Support up to 1024 X 768, with ability to zoom in or out.

Many more pictures, film clips, etc, going well beyond IC1.

Gameplay - More features and player control throughout.

Indirect fire.

Obstacles (Mines, barricades, smoke, etc.).

Enhanced role playing system.

Battlefield morale.

Different classes of infantry (SS, raw recruits, etc.)

Play scenarios with real orders of battle or customize.

Modifiable unit data. You can add or customize your own

tanks and infantry.

Once again this feature list is still very early - there will definitely

be additions, subtractions, and modifications.

If you have any suggestions for Iron Cross 2 (or 3 or 4...), please send

them to :

Phil Steinmeyer

New World Computing

PO Box 4302,

Hollywood, CA 90078-4302

Look for Iron Cross 2 in early 1996.

------------It never came out!!

frown.gif - looks like CM in a way wink.gif Actually this would have been a Close Combat betaer in certain ways biggrin.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 03-20-2000).]

Hey all the Iron Cross data is Gifs!!! Hehe time for some tweaking! ANd the tanks values can be changed easily! Now here is CC4 beater wink.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force