Tough Panther!...

In one game over the weekend, I suddenly found that I was being outflanked by the enemy, who sudenly appeared with a massive mobile force on a side road leading to a victory flag; I quickly brought back a Panther that had been decoyed into advancing by a decoy feint to the front, and blasted an enemy tanks and a halftrack. The enemy force was only a couple of hundred meters away.

Enemy shells bounced off my Panther, who found himself facing a half-dozen enemies including two or three Shermans, a Priest, four or five halftracks and assorted infantry, all closer than 300 m away. GULP! eek.gif

My infantry and other armor were completely caught off position, so this tank would have to hold on for some minutes with only a couple of squads for support while I desperatly shifted some forces from the other side.

A halftrack killed my tank commander and a shell from a Sherman went through the turret without causing any damage.This is curtains, I thought.The next enemy shell hit a track and immobilized my tank. rolleyes.gif

My buttoned Panther traversed his gun and blasted two halftracks and a Priest who was trying to bypass towards the flag, then calmly turned his attention to the Shermans and destroyed two of them while shells and machinegun bullets bounced off his armor.In the meantime, the outnumbered infantry were keeping the American infantry busy shooting them up.Another shell penetrated the hull, with only minor damage.

A remaining Sherman backed up through a hedgerow to get away from the Panther and advanced through the bocage behind the Panther. An arriving Panzerschreck aimed at him from 130 m away and dispatched him with the first shot. YIPPEEE!..- especially since the max range for a Panzerschreck is 100 m smile.gif

Just when the harried Panther was about to get overwhelmed, another Panther arrived on the scene from behind, having circled behind from the other flank. The two Panthers, now supported with arriving infantry, drove away the remaining Americans and retook the flag, which had become undecided due to the very close proximity of enemy units.

The scenario ended with me and the beat-up Panther crew badly needing a visit to the bathroom, although a clean-up crew reported the smell of uring inside the tank... wink.gif

Henri

Yep, Panthers can be tough vehicles. I had one duke it out with two hull down M10's at 700+ meters, and it survived no less than 14 hits, several turret hits indicating "internal armor flaking" before it dispatched them both.

BTW - The maximum range of a Panzerschreck is 225 meters.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron:

Tough, but not so menacing when a Sherman's first shot and hit damage the gun! eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and how about Tigers? Just now, in a pbem game, my precious and only Tiger sitting n a hill was killed by the first shot from a Sherman 900 m away before the Tiger had time to traverse mad.gif

But my trusty Panther 1000 m away has the $#@%$# Sherman in his sights, the only problem being that there are two of them eek.gif

Ten to one that the Veteran Panther misses and is killed by the first shot from the other Sherman. Geez, no wonder I lose all of my pbem games frown.gif Stay tuned...

Henri

Yes indeed, as I predicted, my veteran panther missed, and the Hellcat (it wasn't a Sherman as I thought) dispatched the panther with his first shot! AAARRGGGHHHH! mad.gif

In the same minute, my 75 mm AT gun bounced 4 shells in a row off a Jumbo, who dispatched my armored car whose luck had run out after avoiding 7 bazooka shots, but who had the bad luck to turn around a few meters right in front of the Jumbo. frown.gif

Nothing like fighting a battle with your two best tanks and your recon knocked off.

Now men, do not panik, ve must remember zat in der difficult situations, der think to do is to objectively analyze der situation and to determine vat can be our best pozible result mit zis situation........

...(thinking)...

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! eek.gif

Henri

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 08-28-2000).]

Well I'm pleased to announce that my little Sherman (with 76mm) took out a panther. The Panther crew were buttoned down, distracted by my infantry and hunting slowly to the end of a small rise.

The Sherman, which was hull down on the reverse slope and hidden in vegetation, opened up, and got a flank shot on the Panther turret.

Voila, 1 dead Panther.

The screams of dismay of the Kampfgruppe commander, Muzzlehead, were said to be heard in Melbourne Australia (MH resides in Maryland USA, somewhere)

btw, that's M...U...Z...Z... wink.gif

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 08-28-2000).]