wurfrahmen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest R Cunningham

So it appears that putting it in is simply a matter of BTS preference since it does fit the scale more or less.

I think it would be an interesting toy to try to use properly.

Yes, it does indeed sound practical to implement. And also would

be quite usable on medium to large maps (and even smallish ones using

slopes to simulate elevation adjustments below 14 degrees). I

think it would be a fun and interesting weapon to have in CM

and would be challenging to try and use well. Charles could calculate

the dispersion of the rounds using the tables that have been mentioned

and just adjust the dispersion according to range using the rate

of spread given at the two ranges in the tables as the basis

for the dispersion rate at any given distance. smile.gif

Also, I imagine that the graphics would be pretty easy. Just

add the launcher graphics to the side of the vehicle. smile.gif

Fionn,

Thinking about it I realise it should be no different than considering the restricted elevation of a gun, right?

The shell leaving the barrel of a tank is governed by the laws of physics, as implemented by BTS, and so should the rocket leaving the launcher, ok?

What got me wondering was if this has been implemented “completely” with regards to weapons with “minimum” ranges, like mortars?

If, for example, I put my mortar on a steep hill side, will the minimum range be different down hill or up hill?

Basically, are all weapons coded to consider the most extreme situations imaginable for their firing or is there a measure of abstraction “accepted” in each end?

Or more to the point, do you think, in theory, that vehicle mounted sWF 40 could be put into CM as it stands today with firing ranges from absolute minimum (arming range) all the way out to maximum range?

I’m not really pushing for its inclusion but the discussion is furthering my understanding of workings and potential of CM.

M.

• 2 months later...
Guest Big Time Software

Things look fine on this end. Same HTML as all the other pages, nothing special. Must be a browser but thing smile.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Since this resurfaced, and there was no commentary made by us originally, I will make some comments now...

At best this is a borderline on-map weapon (six pack version). If the map is at least 3500km deep perhaps. But anything smaller and it is a definate no. Think about it. If the map were 2000km deep (which is pretty deep BTW) then the HT would have to sit on the map edge and fire at stuff on the opposite edge. Not much flexibility or purpose here and impossible to use if the map wasn't very deep at all.

We don't include things like the 120mm mortar on map for exactly the same reason, or any other form of nebelwerfer for that matter. So these are certainly not going in. There is really no benefit game wise, unless you are in the CC3 direct fire camp. We aren't smile.gif

Also, how would we handle the ammo situation? I mean, how many rockets could be stored INSIDE the 251? None? So if they were on the map they would be a one shot deal, and that doesn't seem either realistic or usefull.

Sorry, no go.

Steve

Was worth asking. Would have been kind of cool. smile.gif Oh well,

your reasons make sense. Especially the ammo problem. But wouldn't

slope use enable the minimum range to be significantly reduced?

Of course, that would mean you'd need such a slope to be available,

but any decent grade would do. Make the trajectory so low that

it never climbs much above horizon and so falls short where you

want it.

Think it would work, Steve? smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

What you are talking about is introducing a feature that can only work using special, and perhaps artificial (i.e. not historically accurate) situations. They really have no place on a CM sized battlefield other than to make people go "cooooool". Which is probably why they were put into CC3 smile.gif

There are probably 100 other features and vehicle models that are far more worthy of our time than this.

Steve