Conceal the Type of Force in Quick Battles

As I play this great game, I am impressed by the level of detail and realism incorporated by its designers. They seem to have thought of everything, and they are willing to make logical changes. I am playing a quick battle now with a very wiley opponent. I had heard that he enjoyed playing with large German tanks in meeting engagements. Furthermore, he is highly ranked in the ladder system. I, on the other hand, am near the bottom. Perhaps, one could say, I'm not a very good player. Nevertheless, I have fun. It struck me that, I might have a chance to beat this monster player who challenged me if I requested an attack defend scenario and choose infantry to face his big tanks. My logic was simple. If he selects this type of force, I will select anti-tank guns and veteran infantry. Without overwhelming infantry support, I might have a chance to knock out his tanks and hold on to the victory locations. Unfortunately, he set up the game and was privy to my "type of force" selection. Damn if he didn't abandon his proven tactics and instead, selected a mechanized force. Alas, he is winning. I would like to see a way of concealing your opponents type of force. Then perhaps, he would have fallen into my trap. One can argue that intelligence reports would reveal my type of force, but I still don't like it. What do you think mates? Cheers, John

Another way to deal with this I think, is to ensure your opponent and yourself have some agreements as to what your mutual expectations are from the start. Many folks find Fionn Kelly's Short 75 rule very effective in eliminating the "last hand on the top of the bat" players advantage.

http://www.rugged-defense.nl/cm/Fionn3.htm

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 12-10-2000).]

Echo, I have searched the forum and been unable to find a thread that addresses this issue. Where is it mate? I believe this would enhance the overall experience of the quick battle, not to mention level off any advantage to the player who creates the setup. I was not aware of my opponent's unit force until well into the game, but he knew my selection and could easily estimate the type of force he would face. John