? Variation in .50cal Ranges for Vehicles?

Did a QB and decided to throw in a T8 Recon Vehicle for the Amis --- hey, it's cheap and has decent armor (being a modified Stuart), and it's quick. Seemed a good choice --- until I tried to lay into Gerry, and found that the max range on the .50cal is only 400m! So I decided to check out the other American vehicles that mount the .50cal as their only armament, and here's the skinny:

Inf Crewed .50cal HMG: 2500m (baseline)

M3a1 Scout Car: 1000m

M3a1 Half-Track: 1000m

M20 Scout Car: 1000m

T8 Recon Vehicle: 400m

MG Jeep: 400m

Supposedly the M20, M3a1, and T8 all have the same M2B .50cal? Same mount (according to in-game info). I'm assuming all have the same open sights? Why, then, the terrific range discrepancy?

Also curious as to why the T8 carries only 25 "shots" when the M20 has 40, and the M3a1 150. I'm not too familiar with the T8, but being a Stuart (which carries 250 "shots" for it's MGs, by the way) sans turret, I would think it's ammo capacity would be higher (at least more than a jeep!).

[This message has been edited by von Lucke (edited 07-13-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Ok, I don't have the game in front of me at the moment, but is the T-8 50 cal mounted in the bow? If so then I could see the range limitation (ever peer outa vision block from a WWII AFV? I have!)...

This is just a guess at this point but when I get home I will have a look and see if I can seea reason why this might be.

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Scott Clinton

I beleive the T8 is mounted in an open mount next to the hatch. It can not be fired while the T8 is 'buttoned-up'.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

My guess would be that effective range would vary depending on type of mount and sighting/optics.

crewed tripod - solid, braced, good sighting.

ring mount a la M3A1 HTs, M20 - good mount, good slew rate, decent sighting.

pintle mount a la jeep or tank - crappy mount, poor footing, ****ty sighting.

-dale

I am playing a QB with two M20s. Man! Those .50 cal MGs fire FAST from the vehicles. They really unload the ammo quick.

A .50 cal HMG crew will fire maybe 6 bursts a turn. The .50cals on the M20s were up to dozen a turn!

Jason

Dalem:

Agree with yr first and last statements: Yah, a tripod mount, sunk into the ground and braced by three men, would be very stable --- that's why it's range is over twice that of the vehicle mounts. And the column mount of the jeep vibrates like a jack-hammer.

But I would disagree that a 360 ring mount is any more stable than a fixed mount attached to the open turret-ring of a light tank. In any case, the mount for all these vehicles is simply listed as "flexible".

As to sights, they were all open iron sights. (Only optical sight I've seen on a .50 was on a Barret --- would be useless on a HMG).

Madmatt...?

[This message has been edited by von Lucke (edited 07-14-2000).]

IIRC, the T8 had the same ring mount as used on the M20. (I think it was developed as a more survivable replacement for the M20?) So, it should have the about same range (1000m). Don't know about ammo storage, but on a lot of tanks MG ammo is stored in a bunch of nooks and crannies on the turret since it's easier to fit in to small spaces. Also, the Stuart only had .30 cal MGs, thus more "shots".

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But I would disagree that a 360 ring mount is any more stable than a fixed mount attached to the open turret-ring of a light tank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never used either, but I had assumed that since a ring mount allows the firer to stand braced and slew the gun on the ring so the firer can always be directly behind the gun, this would be a 'better' mount than a simple pintle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In any case, the mount for all these vehicles is simply listed as "flexible".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. But the level of detail on the descriptive label doesn't necessarily dictate the behavior modeled by the game engine.

-dale

IW: Yes, but since the 37mm gun and .30cal MG's have been removed, the storage space for all that ammo should be freed up for some .50cal --- more than the single can it seems to be equiped with.

Dalem: Yr last sentence is exactly the reason behind my original post. A range of 400m seems way too limited.

VL-

Yeah, I dk what the resoning behind the T8 specifically is, because I think it's a ring-mount like the M20, but I'm okay with the general treatment.

And by 'sighting' I meant being directly behind the gun as opposed to twisting around like you do with a pintle-mount.

-dale

Guest Madmatt

Charles is having a look at this disparity in .50 cal range issue in the 1.03 patch.

We will wait and see what comes out of this.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing