Commonwealth Infantry (Motorized) and other points

1. I was just curious. Why are there no "mechanized" platoons and companies in the Commonwealth Order of Battle. The Infantry Battalion of a (at the time) Type A Armoured Brigade was mounted in integral M3/5 halftracks 12-14 per coy. Was this just a matter of economy and streamlining the game during development?

2. Also I had an example of grazing fire. A platoon of mine was bumped up close to a wood line and two of the sections broke and ran. As they were running away they became lined up with an MG42 that put a burst into the section that was farthest away. The nearer section was displaying two figures and the farther one three. The burst flew in from the MG and as the tracer arrived, both sections lost one figure. From one burst...If this wasn't a bug or something then,.....not too shabby!!!

3. I'd like some clarification on this point ...OK,..large copse of trees with a "finger" jutting out from one of the corners. In the finger is platoon (-). Two sections, an MG and I think there was an HQ. All arranged along the long axis of the finger copse. My assault element, a rifle platoon and a tank are formed up in some dead ground about 150m away oriented facing the long face of the finger. On the flank there is a friendly 50cal the fire from which is perfectly enfilading the objective. Here is the situation, The MG can not see the enemy in the finger copse (actually sparse trees) but can trace a line of fire through the figer to a "area fire" point on the far side near the enemy that is fathrest away. Will this fire that is traced throught the copse, though not targeting any specific enemy, have some effect on the enemy in the "finger"? There was so much fire from other sources directed to the objective area that the effect of any one weapon was lost in the volum of fire.

Thanks

Rob Deans

I dnno why mechanized Allied units aren't modelled. The German Panzergrenadier units come with integral halftrack in their battalions and companies.

That kind of 'collateral' damage that you mention in point two has been in since the beta demo.

I only really noticed how effective it was when I wrote up an AAR that appeared on CMHQ.

Keep good unit spacing!

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 07-09-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Another example of why I think there should be a friendly-fire inhibtor. Not absolute, mind you. In the chaos of battle friendly units did fire on each other, but when friendly positions are pretty obvious in reasonably good visibility, there should be only a low percent chance of the fire passing through their position.

Of course, the biggest responsibility lies with the commander (that's YOU, bubbie) arranging his forces so that the temptation for one unit to fire through another is not present.

Michael

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. I was just curious. Why are there no "mechanized" platoons and companies in the Commonwealth Order of Battle. The Infantry Battalion of a (at the time) Type A Armoured Brigade was mounted in integral M3/5 halftracks 12-14 per coy. Was this just a matter of economy and streamlining the game during development?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it might be a difference in doctrine. The German HTs were supposed to give close quarter fire-support to the dismounted Grenadiers, while the Allies used these things to get their infantry close to the battle, but then kept them back and let the gruntos slog it out. Might be wrong though.

------------------

Andreas