BTS,Nahverteidigungswaffe Redux

I've read the extensive threads on this thorny technical issue and distinctly recall your having asked for full particulars some months back on the projectile for this beast, a projectile you precisely identified.

Did you ever get the information, and if so, what did you learn? Would love to see the data and a pic or line drawing if you have any.

Regards,

John Kettler

I would like to add that the EFFECT of the weapon could go beyond its payload/fragabilitys.

Normally it was used vs infantry close to a armored vehicle. They probably are buying into the dead zone theory of "they cant hit me Im too close" frame of mind. As long as the bow MG dont point at us we be OK.

Well the fact that a explosion occurs kind of bursts this bubble and might trigger a flee response. It doesnt matter to our intrepid tank hunters how big a bang. I guess its all conjecture but I doubt that any of the heroes reading this would crawl up to a live tank anyway. I wouldnt.

Lewis

Note the modern use of fragless flash-bang "stun grenades" to paralyze and demoralize terrorists. People hate explosions in their faces.

Since German tankers who found themselves in such predicaments are not likely to have left many written testimonials (by the time the OPFOR infantry is swarming over your tank, your life expectancy is seriously jeopardized no matter what short term countermeasures you come up with), I wonder if there are any recorded episodes of antitank parties being repelled by Nahverteidigungswaffen?

when the problems and questions with modeling this rather obscure equipment first surfaced here on the board, nobody really knew anything exact about it, as any real information was hard to come by.

Mr Cunningham, member of the CM community, therefore made it his mission to explore this weapon.

He did an excellent research work on the issue, and the Nahverteidigungswaffe is now covered in the most extensive work on that subject available, on the Nahverteidigungswaffe-Page.

Would love to see the data and a pic or line drawing if you have any.

you can be helped.

The page includes all the data available and quite some pictures and line drawings, and will most likely answer the questions you have. It is located at:

http://home.t-online.de/home/rcunningham/nahvert/nah.htm

------------------

"Please fix!!! or do somefink" (CPT S.)

I would suggest the proper tactic was pop grenades and spin tracks in reverse. If it were a super grenade the panzer grenadiers would not have been appreciative.

Ive never read of its use but like my 'bouncing germans shells' it may have been obscure yet real. Vets could tell you and german training center curriculums might help also.

Lewis

Guest Scott Clinton

The crux IMHO is that there is a world of difference between the HE round described in Mr. Cunningham's page mentioned and linked above and the "92mm HE" round modeled in CM.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-04-2000).]

Hi,

Bob Cunningham and I have put together our data in the past and present the stuff on a webpage.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/NahVtdgW/artnahvtdgw.htm

This is pretty much all what is published about the device and it´s ammo.

Charles is aware of the data and AFAIK has reduced the effect which was calculated as a 92 mortar shell which is, that´s what published data suggest, way too much.

I don´t know on which level the effect is calculated right now, but it should be somewhere between a Handgrenade and a Gewehrgranate, more close to the Handgrenade.

Cheers

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891