bridges

Guest rick614

Guest rick614

I know we are not going to see a Maus or two roaming around our CM battlefield (but that would satisfy those who want pillboxes) and that got me to thinking about bridges. I guess bridges can be damaged and\or be destroyed but might one collapse if it is in bad shape and some armor is run across it? And isn't it great that your putting out what looks to be the absolute best war game yet and people want more and more and more-----------------------. BTS, you guys are doing a great job on this and I think you are really going to have a loyal following.

I can just see a Jagdtiger crossing some rickety wooden bridge when suddenly the bridge collapses and splat, that is one kill for the river! And i also hope to become a part of the loyal following smile.gif

------------------

biggrin.gifcool.gif ShadowWraith cool.gifbiggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ShadowWraith (edited 01-07-2000).]

I really believe that a tank's crew would judge the stability of any bridge they were told to cross and refuse the order if it was obvious to them that the thing wouldn't take the weight of the vehicle. I can't imagine a crew of one of those whoopass-heavy German monsters just driving willy-nilly over any old bridge they came across.

I also don't think that bridge collapses caused by excessively heavy vehicles crossing happened all that often; and it would only happen ONCE for each bridge.

Bottom line: I don't think it's in CM, and I don't think it's worth the extra work and delay to put it in.

DjB

DjB

Guest rick614

Doug

I agree that it not worth delaying the game for anything such as collapsing bridges. I'm sure you're right about it not happening too often because I bet a lot of reasons were found why it wasn't a good idea to cross a bridge that didn't look too strong. However, here is something to think about for a future version. If I order a heavy tank to cross a bridge is there a chance he might refuse because it looks weak? I suppose that could be built in but my guess would be if there is no chance that the bridge might fail there will be no chance that the order will be refused. Then you have a situation where any bridge standing is crossable by any unit be it a MG team or a super heavy tank. I just think it would be "neat" to have to look at a bridge and say "I'll get the ground pounders across first and then my light units but do I want to chance deep sixing my last heavy?" Maybe more trouble than it's worth but remember what I said about more and more and more----------------.

------------------

rick614

Ah, I see your point; I did not at first.

Yes, it would be interesting to have bridges that may or may not take the weight of a certain tank, and to have a tank's crew say "no way man, that thing won't take our weight."

I am in agreement with you; such a feature would be quite interesting for CM2.

DjB