CM and OS X beta?

chrisl

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisl:

With the impending public release of MacOS X beta, is there any word on compatibility with CM? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OS X will include "Classic" mode for running pre-OS X programs. I don't know if such will be implemented in the beta, or how the Classic mode works with games.

OS X is certainly very big on Open GL as it's graphics API of choice. BTS has mentioned that implementing Open GL into Combat Mission is one of the many things on their to-do list.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Actually, it should work in the Beta because RAVE is part of the Quicktime layer and makes calls right to hardware, while QuickDraw and Open GL remain supported. In fact, the "Carbonization" process is fairly easy for OSX with most apps.

An added advantage to recreate CM on OSX is that it can recompile for other Unix operating systems easily (of course, getting all the myriad of cards to work is still possibly a big headache).

The CM Mac version and the CM PC version are the same, and were very well engineered. It is my bet that OSX wont be such a big climb for the CM team after their tour de force.

As with any other software conversion though, getting a native OSX CM / CM2 will cost time for the CM team. Time is money. The Mac world is getting what could be the most powerful OS on the market in a year. You pay for the power of course. Now here is something that we who own Macs should understand: if you are willing to pay for it, they will design. I for one will pay for the OSX version of CM without whining about extra money for the same game, then I will shell out more bucks for CM2 CM3 CM Revised, CM Designers edition, and every other CM product that the team cares to slide in front of me.

There-- Big Time knows that by supporting my platform of choice, they have my buck for the next 50 years. (I have a Dell, but it is not half as fun as my Mac.)