Ammunition Representation for Small arms

Hi guys,

I did a search on Ammo, ammunition etc and tried to wade through the plethora of results but was unable to answer this question. My apologies in advance if it has been covered adn I missed it.

What I would like to know it what the ammunition number represents for small arms, does this represent magazines?, clips? they seem to be such small numbers and I found it hard to believe they meant single rounds

:-P. I was interested to know if this was a scaled versions of rpm rof, or based on weight, bulk or what have you.

thanks

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Here and there it comes up as well. I think the following has been said as well. At long ranges when only squad MG's (particularly possible with "Heavy SMG" squads) firing, partial ammo units are used. On the other end of the spectrum, at close ranges multiple rounds can be fired per minute. I swear someone just gave an example of a unit dumping 5 ammo units into another at very close range. So things seem to be scalable.

Justin

Guest Big Time Software

Basically the info above is correct. Think of each "unit" of ammo as an expendature of ammo for one normal volley of fire. As Justin outlined, this can be more or less depending on the circumstances.

Steve

Oh ammo use is VERY scaleable..

Check out the 6th turn AAR of my game against Rick at CMHQ which went up yesterday. In it I lament that by turn 6 of the game of Last Defence one of my German Motorised Panzergrenadier platoons is almost totally out of ammo. One or two squads or on LOW and the other has only 5 bursts left.

This platoon was in combat for only 3 turns but engaged in 3 close-assaults and burned up its ammo insanely quickly. Check it out, download the movie and watch my guys literally burn through their ammo like there's no tomorrow.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I was the one who mentioned the five units of ammo usage. The unit (A Rifle 45 Squad) fired a total of 11 units of ammo in one minute, five of which came in one burst.

The unit had 8 men left carrying 5 M1s, 2 BARs, and one Thompson. I can only assume the 5 units of ammo represented every soldier firing of their entire clip of ammo.

Jason

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, that is about right Jason. Of course ammo is aproximated, but it "feels right" and the math works out well too.

It is amazing how "little" ammo guys had on them. Take an MP40. Standard loadout consisted of 2 pouches, 3 mags of 30 rounds each. That is 180 rounds. A standard German squad has 40 Ammo Units, which comes out to only 4.5 rounds per Ammo Unit. So that 5 Ammo Units you chewed through was one clip. Again, that doesn't leave much after one or two attacks like that!

Steve