Saw fanatic troop in action ... WOW

frag

Yesterday night, I played the "Red Devil" scenario as the axis, I had to keep control of a village and a bridge. The british troup was VERY aggresive, I never saw an attack from the AI rich and aggressive like it!!!

Here I come ... at the turn 25 I only had 1 MG42 unit of 2 men left, fighting like crazy in a Foxhole. 3 british units ran directly in them for close combat, but my MG42 unit kept position to fight like crazy wolf WITH A STATUS OK. I lost them finally, but mmeeeeennn ... those British are surely afraid today of german machine gunner!!!

[This message has been edited by frag (edited 09-07-2000).]

I played aQB recently with FJ vs Brit Army , had a universal carrier advance towards a wood......whooosh a Panzerschreck knocked out the carrier. The crew bailed , composed themselves and then rushed the Pz Sk team....they did the dirty work on them , and then did a runner. Needless to say i sat in utter awe.....nearly immune to surprises now.....nearly

Måkjager

OTOH, fanatics can be a liability at night and other low-viz situations. For instance, say you're platoon advance meets the enemy MLR. Due to different lengths of delays in your units starting to move, your platoon is not on line but more in wedge or column of squads.

So the 1st squad crosses the LOS limit and the whole enemy position opens up on it. It goes into berserker mode and charges the nearest enemy unit. While doing so, it is under fire from all enemy units in LOS, which are at point blank range, and is moving fast so is at its highest exposure. Men fall at every step, the last dropping dead on the parapet. Enemy losses are negligeable.

This all happens so quickly that your next squad hasn't reached the LOS limit yet. By the time it does, the enemy units are ready for it. If you have a high fanaticism rating, there's a good chance of the process being repeated.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Use pauses to give all the squads the same delay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This doesn't overcome the random factor. And when viz range is 50m or so at most, even 1 or 2 seconds difference can have these results.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Did we ever get a definitive answer that this behavior was caused by fanatacism vice seeking the only visible cover (the obstacle occupied by the enemy)?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there was a specific response, but I go by the rule of thumb that if a unit charges, shows great aggression or even whacked behaviour, but never goes to panicked/broken/routed state, then it was fanatical. Any normal unit charging and taking casualties/massive fire, but never panics and breaks, is, I would think, definitely fanatical, as under the game engine fanatical units are incapable of hitting these stages.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.