US arty in VOT

I have been fiddling with defensive tactics in this scenario. I am playing the jerries with 25% advantage to the US. The problem is no matter where I hide my squads the arty seems to efectively rain down an accurate barrage every time. I have started with the same setup every time, but withdrawing my squads to different location each time. In about five starts the arty has but decimated my squads. The first 4 times I thought what bad luck, however after the last try It aint just bad luck. Steve & Charles please don't be offended, but something seems to be amiss.

Situation. I withdrew C & D squads to the base of feature 198 along the shore of the lake and hidden. This location, there is a LOS to nowhere to see any squads you would need to be very close to them, however between turns 3 and 6 the US arty rained down a devastating fire pattern eliminating most of my squads. My quetion is how can the AI drop artillery into an area without clear line of sight within 40 or 50 metres of the target area?

I can't answer for Steve/Charles, but it sounds like you might have FOW off. Just a suggestion.

I've never had the AI find my German troops in VOT until somebody on the Ami side put an eyeball on them. Arty can provide indirect fire even out of LOS, but not with the accuracy you describe.

Guest Pillar

I posted a thread on how to win defence (without bonuses) as the jerries a while back. It was called "It's Possible!" so try running a search on that.

There are also many other people who have found ways to do well as the Germans in VoT, you just have to sort of dig through the old forum messages.

One thing I want to try next time is smoking the allied hill on turn one and rushing it with a platoon. If I could just take out the allies artillery I would have a significant advantage comparably.

biggrin.gif

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Ahem, well i have won every game so far in VoT as the germans and the key is to hide your men during the first 5 moves or so, hide them in the foxholes or in buildings, the arty will still come but casualties will be minimal. Do not take them away from cover when the arty starts, they will be easily panicked and will take casualties. Also keep them close to your commanders in C&C, then they will be less likely to panic and run. Once the arty has been depleted unhide your men.

Just a tip.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

It could also be possible (didn't fire up VoT to check the LOS for the terrain area your refering to) that your troops were spotted while on the move, so while they are now hidden out of LOS, the AI has a good idea where they might have gone. It's something I do all the time. If I spot troops entering an area, I'll try and make an educated guess on where they might have moved to and hunkered down, and drop some rounds in the area.

I've played VoT on the german side more times against the AI then i dare to count and the US artillery seems to me the greatest danger for my troops.

I always play with full FOW, hide my troops as long as possible and set up ambushes. I try to expose my troops only when the attacker is at very close range (i.e. stumbled into some ambushes), so incoming artillery will also kill some of his forces. Also, i let my bunkers do their work to soften up any attackers and take care that the Shermans have to be very close to get a LOS to them. I put the concrete MG pillbox somwhere in the village and it usually causes a great deal of damage to infantry at close ranges. You can wreak terrible havoc to the attackers with just your bunkers, minefields and indirekt mortar fire even without your infantry firing a single shot. When your Infantry is exposed the artillery will come down in one or two rounds, so you have a little time to prepare for this.

You can redeploy your troops even if you have to use smoke shells from your mortars to cover your movement ( takes a bit timing) or, if you feel confident enough, launch a counterattack to remain at close range with the enemy. Everything is better than to stay in place to be bombed into oblivion by the artillery.

When the Panther comes into action, the Artillery is a less threat to your grunts, as the AI is usually more busy to order smoke missions instead of shelling your infantry.

This is why i love this scenario to play on the german side as you can train a great amount of different tactics: static defense, counterattacks, ambushes and last but not least how to use that precious german Panther to great effect.

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

In answer to your question, Mortars require Line of Sight. Forward Observers for artillery batteries do NOT. I assume they are using map information. Now granted, they will be able to guide and correct the fire if they do have LOS, but I have been plenty effective without LOS.

Just blow the hell out of them, and then go look for white flags...

On the defenseive side. Have any of you ever seen the Monty Python skit, "The Importance of Not Being Seen" ?

Guest Big Time Software

"Ms. Nesbit, please stand up" *BOOM* "Lesson #1, do not stand up" or something like that smile.gif One of my all time favorites!

Watch out for that blind indirect fire there bubba! wink.gif Yesterday I was fired some 4.2 inch mortars blind into a village I was assaulting at night. One round fell VERY short and took out 8 men from my last full strength platoon. DOH!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-04-2000).]

Guest *Captain Foobar*

(continuing)

*BOOM*

"Mr. Nesbit has displayed the importance of not being seen....."

------------------

Life is tough...Its even tougher if you're stupid...