Some detailed questions on how artillery works in TacOps

chucknz

Hi,

A couple of questions re TacOps that I hope the experts might be able to help with.

1. What is the effect of splitting say a 6 gun on-map battery into 2 x 3 gun 'batteries' other than (obviously) allowing each to fire at separate targets? In particular,

i) how is the size of the target area affected (it seems to get smaller but is it reduced to 50% of it's former size for 3 guns as opposed to 6 or is the decrease calculated in a way other than a straight linear proportional reduction)

ii)is the effect on units caught within the target area reduced? If so is it a linear reduction (i.e. 50% less effective for 3 guns opposed to 6) or once again is it calculated in a different way.

iii)is the size and duration of smoke barrages affected by a reduction or increase in the number of units firing?

The reason I ask is that I believe in real life the effectiveness of more guns is exponential rather than linear i.e. the effect of 6 guns on a target is likely to be more than 100% greater than 3 guns and was wondering if and how this was captured in the code.

2. Does the terrain the target is in impact the effectiveness of artillery. If so, can somebody give me a rough guide as to how different terrain affects various unit types re vulnerability to artillery?

1) unless I misunderstood something all TacOps artillery impact is only distinguished by the impact area, that means both different calibers and different numbers of guns.

TacOps always seems to assume that the battery tries to reach the same saturation for the target area, using surplus firepower to cover a wider area.

2) yes, the terrain plays a big role. I don't have numbers, though, but it is very significant. Infantry in open ground and roads is reduced very quickly. Obviously you also have entrenchments.

TacOps doesn't model seperate treeburst effect, being in woods is no disadvantage.

Example: On map, M109 Self Propelled Howitzer Battery

In TacOps, the M109 always fires a Battery 3 when the arty unit is on the map. Thus a battery salvo will consume three rounds of ammo per tube per impact animation.

A nine gun battery will cover about 650 Ares or a square with 250+ meter sides per salvo animation.

A six gun battery will cover about 450 Ares or a square with 210+ meter sides per salvo animation.

A three gun battery will cover about 225 Ares or a square with 150+ meter sides per salvo animation.

> ii)is the effect on units caught within the target area

> reduced?

No.

> 2. Does the terrain the target is in impact the

> effectiveness of artillery.

Yes. The rougher the terrain, the less effective is the salvo.