More Infantry graphics please!

Hi, great game i just wish that the actual number of infantry men was displayed, instead of the 3 men shown, (this would look alot better).

* I know this takes up alot of CPU time (needs good graphics card).

If anyone is working on this, please let me know???

I hope Big time would release a patch for this effect.

[This message has been edited by Joe F (edited 08-10-2000).]

Hi again, Thanks Germanboy!!!!

I just searched and read some great stuff on this issue - Infantry sprites topic etc.

Anyone interested in this topic should simply search for Infantry Graphics and lots of information will be available.

Pss My full version is coming in app 8 days - Can't WAIT....

Psss I would love to see Veitnam as CM5!!!

[This message has been edited by Joe F (edited 08-10-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe F:

Hi, great game i just wish that the actual number of infantry men was displayed, instead of the 3 men shown, (this would look alot better).

* I now this takes up alot of CPU time (needs good graphics card).

Is this possible???

I hope Big time would release a patch for this effect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, welcome to the board. In short, they won't. There are long discussions on this on the board, and I suggest doing a search. The reasons AFAIK in short are:

- CPU

- Clutter on the battlefield

- pointless from a simulation point of view, since the squad is supposed to work as a unit and be more than the sum of the components

- the three-guy abstraction actually works wonderfully well, once you have gotten used to it (although I say that about my car too, so maybe that does not mean much)

Hope that helps, and I strongly suggest doing a search if the info is not sufficient for you.

------------------

Andreas

I don't have a problem with the 3 man squad representation. I do think something more should be done to show dead bodies- has this been brought up before ? I AM KIDDING-repeat KIDDING-I just couldn't resist so please no flames.

P.S. Just kidding really

3 men have a hard enough time fitting in a truck, imagine 12? Jeeps barely hold one guy, what if you put Company HQ in it?

Sometimes I put whole platoons in a single building, they would all be spilling out. The men in CM seem to be slightly larger than they should be, so this would clutter everything up. Plus even small scenarios would tax a computer. Multiply the amount of men on the map by 4 times and see how fast it runs.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von Brizee:

3 men have a hard enough time fitting in a truck, imagine 12? Jeeps barely hold one guy, what if you put Company HQ in it?

Sometimes I put whole platoons in a single building, they would all be spilling out. The men in CM seem to be slightly larger than they should be, so this would clutter everything up. Plus even small scenarios would tax a computer. Multiply the amount of men on the map by 4 times and see how fast it runs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true, it has always been a challange in wargames to get the scale right.

I.E in many miniature tabletop wargames one figure represents up to 250 or even 500 (Napoleonic period etc). So a regiment may be represented by 4 figures and 16 makes up a division - when adding buildings/bridges/tress they usually have the correct size compared to the miniatures but then they take up way to much space on the battlefield. lets say 4 (15 mm) miniatures represent 1000 men. With a normal base size they take up 2cm*2cm, in other words 2 cm of terrain should represent app 31 meters in real life. So if you have a normal cottage house that fits with 15mm miniatures it would be app 4*6 cm but would then take up 124*186 Meters of the terrain - the size of a town.

It gets really tricky when you start to calculate fire/movement ranges as well.

My point is that you always have to make some sacrifices or accept that the scale/size will never be accurate, you can only get that realistic with a simulation of real life (conflicts).

BACK TO COMBAT MISSION ->

Anyway - After reading most of the posts regarding the wishes for more men shown and more corpses i can understand BT decisions.

One thing that easily could be implemented and VERY USEFULL would be on option to turn on a visible number idicating the number of men left. I.E above the middle soldier.

As i find it very annoying that i have to click on the unit and look at the bottom left of the screen just to find out how many men are left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Joe F (edited 08-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Joe F (edited 08-11-2000).]