If you build it, will they come?

Mapmaking question: If you put a flag on the map, does the game AI interpret that as the goal? I mean, will the opposing forces automatically head towards the flag and try to conquer and hold the area around the flag? I am trying to get something accomplished in a map but preliminary testing was with more than one flag...should I use only one? I'd appreciate any and all comments.

IP: Logged

All times are EST (USA)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic

Hop to:

Hey Buddy

thats a good question...

And if I may, while we are at it,

May I ask...

If, as a designer, you put a victory flag squarely and clearly on a bridge, and that bridge is destroyed, is the flag still valid and does the side with the most forces in the vacinity of the destroyed bridge get the victory points for that flag???

I have not played any scenarios where you have to take or hold bridges but I am working on putting one together in the scenario editor now.

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure as to the relationship between minor and major flags, but in all the scenarios I've done, including my latest offering, if the AI DIDN'T head for the flags, it wouldn't work. In fact, the AI works as best it can to reach the large flags and hold them. Now, as to whether the AI prioritizes between small and large flags I can't say. I also don't know the answer to Tom's bridge question, although I'd suspect that if the bridge was destroyed, the AI would still try to capture the goal "area."

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Thanks MM,

I'm still wondering if a victory flag placed on a bridge counts for points if the bridge is destroyed. I don't think it should count. If this has not been addressed I would like to see it on "the list" for the next patch. I think a bridge "should" only be worth the victory points for that location if it is still standing at the end of the battle.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

thanks

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miyamoto Musashi:

I'm not sure as to the relationship between minor and major flags, \ I also don't know the answer to Tom's bridge question, although I'd suspect that if the bridge was destroyed, the AI would still try to capture the goal "area."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Buddy,

I had somewhat the same problem with a map I'm making. I finally worked around it. The trick is to have the situation set up so that the comp strategic AI thinks it's losing. If you can set up your map so that after your team takes the 1st objective the comp is losing (say 50% to 30%) then the comp will PROBABLY try to take the flag back. You need judicious use of the flag values to get the job done. The comp also tends to let his units "drift" a little, it's not good at moving a big force a long ways to take a position, so make sure the enemy force is not too far away, but not too close either, otherwise what's the use. You will have to jiggle all the factors together but it can be done, but it's kind of a makeshift solution. Hope this helps.

DeanCo--

DeanCo--

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I'm still wondering if a victory flag placed on a bridge counts for points if the bridge is destroyed. I don't think it should count.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A victory flag always counts. There is no way to disable it (at least that I know of).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

If this has not been addressed I would like to see it on "the list" for the next patch. I think a bridge "should" only be worth the victory points for that location if it is still standing at the end of the battle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a work around (from the Son scenerio). Simply put the flag on the defender's side of the river, just accross the bank. This way, if the bridge is destroyed it will be pretty easy to wipe out the now cut off attackers. And even if Patton and the whole of the Third Army is across the river, they are not going to be able to claim that flag.

--Chris