Arty vs. Tank: what value?

Guest Pillar

Don't use anything sub-300mm on tough armour. You stand a good chance of immobilizing an enemy tank however, with anything about 200mm.

Save the 150's for infantry.

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 10-01-2000).]

Unless I'm desperate, I don't use anything less than a 155 on tanks - you get far more value pasting the infantry with it.

You don't always need a kill to get benefit from the shelling. The other night in a QB against the AI, I was desperate, and fired 4.5" (114mm) at the last StuG (the only armor remaining on the battlefield). I had sent some infantry up one flank, it turned away from tearing apart my main attack to engage them. They were running, and as it was turning to catch up, with its nose pointed a harmless direction, the barrage started to hit and a shell immobilized it. That's as good as a kill, and it turned the tide of battle. The next turn, the crew bailed, and my flanking infantry cut them down as they ran for cover. It was in the snow, so their revenge was served cold.

Guest Pillar

What ever you decide to do Fubart, make sure you don't end up with a bunch of infantry without artillery support. Artillery is more valuable than tanks imho.