Wasp kicks butt

In a ridiculous scenerio where I just ran around doing "stuff" I ended up having this unlikely hero.

wasp.JPG

I mean I zoomed this guy around at full speed to the hot spots like a "fire truck". He kicked ASS!! I ran him up behind an infantry gun and watched as the two tried to line up on each other first. zzzzzzzzzzttt. Toasty 75mm Inf gun. Then he turned around and had a go at a half track. "Zot!" Toast. And all the infantry guys in foxholes were zapped along the way.

Very handy weapon.

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 06-29-2000).]

LOL, The little guy posing for his photograph cracks me up smile.gif Probably hoping to get his VC very shortly. Just a (minor) shame the Wasp isn't modelled with the big fuel tank(s) on the back and the flame-gun nozzle at the front - its appearance is identical to the standard carrier here. Also the CM 25pdr looks more like a German 105mm howitzer for some reason. Not that it matters - they will be off board in my games.

Guest Germanboy

Does anyone know who 'owned' the Wasps? Were they an integral part of the MG Batallion in the Commonwealth infantry divisions or where did they come from? In Sand's document on TO&E he states that the MG Batallion in the Commonwealth armoured divisions sported six flame-throwers, but it does not say whether these were mounted. The Wasps were used quite a bit it seems by Commonwealth forces.

I love the universal carrier.

------------------

Andreas

According to 'The British Soldier, 1944-45, Vol 2' the Wasp was used; 'according to availability. Medium Machine Gun Company in the Armoured Division.'

The TO&E chart in the book shows the Independent MMG Comp. attached to an armoured division having a Flamethrower Platoon with 6 Wasps. The chart for an MMG Battalion of an infantry division doesn't show Wasps in this book. Strangely, the book doesn't indicate the standard issue of flamethrowers of *any* type to an infantry division (though a soldier from 3rd I.D. is shown using an ack-pack). Airborne divisions are shown as having a total of 38 ack-packs. Who 'owned' them is not made clear though engineers usually come to mind. I get the impression that issue was very much ad-hoc and could be issued to any infantry unit from a central pool as the need arose (much like the troop-carrier doctrine).

Doesn't clear up the mystery completely but hope this helps.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeO:

Doesn't clear up the mystery completely but hope this helps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers Mike, I guessed the 6 in the armoured TO&E would be SP. They probably had a pool somewhere. I have some nice pics of a Wasp working in Lingen during Varsity. According to the book Sgt.Langford (who won a DCM there) commanded the only Wasp at the disposal of UK 185 Brigade (3rd ID) undertaking the attack. Does not say where he came from, so I would guess he was attached from some central pool (either Div or Corps).

------------------

Andreas

RES35136.jpg

This is the MkIIC built by the Canadians. I have seen a photo of another version with two linked fuel tanks in both rear compartments.

[This message has been edited by MikeO (edited 07-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MikeO (edited 07-08-2000).]

In one Quick Battle I had one of the German counterparts to this Wasp (the SdKfz 251/16 flammenwerfer) find himself in the middle of several US squads all pinned down by my several overwatch units. The little fellow was like a pig in **** (excuse me). He sort of spun around in circles giving everybody a little squirt. "OK, here's some for you. And for you over there. And a little for you in the scattered trees. Hold your horses, you guys in the foxhole, there's plenty for everyone." He ended up credited with 54 infantry casualties and ended the scenario unharmed.

These have become my favorite vehicle. I buy three or more for every Quick Battle I play.

Anybody had any luck lighting up main battle tanks up close? I dropped a whole bunch of smoke on an immobilized Churchill VIII, drove two SdKfz 251/16 flammenwerfers into the smoke. He nailed one early, but the other squirted him good. He didn't brew and when he returned fire, he put an end to my experiment. Anybody had better luck with the Wasp?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lt. Kije:

Anybody had any luck lighting up main battle tanks up close?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I managed to set fire to an undefended house and a church, on my side of the map, before some long range MG fire (about 1 seconds worth) knocked out my little Flamenwagen. I'm going to attack a tank next.......