Too Much CM Forum...

Okay, I'm more than familiar with the phenomenon of playing too much CM. Friends and Family members' eyes glaze over while I animatedly talk about the game. Many are treating me like some kind of wargaming version of a Jehovah's Witness, and are beginning to bark at me that they don't want to play the Demo, whether I download it for them or not ('Have you heard the glad word abut Combat Mission? Perhaps I could just leave you with this Zip disk of our Demo and some screen shots. Be sure to check out the Quicktime movie. You, too, could be knocking out Pzkw IVs if you accept Combat Mission as your personal wargame...).

But there's an equally insidious phenomenon, that of the Combat Mission Forum. I mean, I'm coming here way too much. It used to be a means of getting answers to FAQ and game features. Then the philosophy behind design decisions and aspects of game play. Then, after i got the Demo, it was a way to find info about tactics and weapons performance. Finally, it was my link to when I would get the game.

But lately, it's gotten a little strange. Instead of focusing in on topics like "Machine Guns: Little Nancy Boys, or Battlefield Titans?" or "While Playing CM Today I couldn't Help But Notice That My Expectations Regarding the Invincibility of My Forces Were Not Met...Bug Suspected, Major Recoding Suggested...". Instead, I'm hurrying to topics like "CM Brought in by Moose-carts & Sheer Guts to Brave Canadians Who've Held for Almost 3 Weeks Without Resupply", and "Australians Announce Major Offensive to New Zealand to Seize Vital Combat Mission CDs".

I mean, I found myself starting to keep a mental check list of where CM was. Then I started worrying about where it hadn't shown. Then, it got even weirder as I began worrying about communities, or even individual soldiers! I found myself checking in going 'Goodness, I wonder if gaffertape's gotten his up in Canada yet? Ah, I see where kumps

finally gotten his, one less worry there...but what about Andreas? I thought I saw where some in Manchester are getting them, but did Andreas? Maybe I better do a search..."

Ahhhh! I don't know any of these people! I'm starting to keep tabs on lots of them, though...and now Seahawk? Has he gotten his yet? When did he order? Aggghhhhhh!

Help me...

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

there is no help. abandon all hope.

i experienced that same feeling of self-loathing, when netmedic reported to me that i have visited cmhq 7000 times. I am a loser.

[This message has been edited by *Captain Foobar* (edited 07-05-2000).]

Well, if logging onto the CM forum 7000 times makes you a loser then I must be a fool because it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I played ASL for years, and CM is the best thing I've seen on a computer for the last ten years.

One of my friends lives far away, and he used to play ASL with me, now we are playing CM PBEM, so CM helped bring us back together.

After 7000 posts you must be an excellent player by now. biggrin.gif

And if you happen to pick up a bit of history while reading forum posts, no loss there either. smile.gif

Amphibious landing craft are located as we speak in australian east coast ports...

Tonight we board and tomorrow at 0600 we will storm the 'fortress new zealand' and claim what is rightfully ours..

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif============= frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Seanachai,

I didn't know you cared? I'm truly touched. And here I thought all my crying was going largely ignored. smile.gif

I also admit that I am a CM forum junkie, even continuously checking on the Canadian issue, being totally jealous of even better crying than my own. But there definately is a community here that I find fascinating to follow.

I've eaten CM every day for a four day weekend and I'm simply blown away. I can't imagine switching my diet to anything else anymore. Its CM or I don't eat.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kump:

Seanachai,

I didn't know you cared? I'm truly touched. And here I thought all my crying was going largely ignored. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CARE?! OF COURSE, I CARE, MAN! What do you think, that just because I got my game days ago, I don't care about all those left waiting on the lines behind me?! While there's one trooper left in Canada cursing his customs service, while there's one Aussie who can't waltz his Matilda without tears, while there's one Brit who's lack of CM makes him contemplate seeing "the Patriot", because life has become meaningless, well, Buddy, you'll find me there, caring, dammit! Because in years to come, when the question is asked: "Did you stand shoulder to shoulder with those who played Combat Mission? I want to be able to look that person in the eye, and my Maker, as well, and say: I never slept well until every lost soul had the game in hand; I never went to sleep without saying a blessing for those who were still waiting!" Sniffle...

Thanks, kump, I just needed to say that...now, I've got to go check messages and update my lists, maybe write a few letters to families... smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

[This message has been edited by Seanachai (edited 07-05-2000).]

Well spoken, sir! We applaud your humanity as we huddle these cold winter nights in our Australian bunkers, starved of combat, with but the glinting Southern Cross in the starry skies for solace.

Not even a pipe grenade in the letterbox.

But sir, sentiments such as yours lift up our spirits, our shoulders straighten and we ready ourselves for another...quiet...day.

Was that the postie?

Best regards from Mick in Sydney