a not-so-quick newbie question

jim_hopper

I am enjoying TacOps a great deal and am beginning to slog my way through some of the smaller scenarios.

My question is this: how does a US rifle platoon do recon? I am playing the "Team Krempp" scenarion wherein a US rifle platoon (3 inf sqds, 2 MG teams, 2 ATGM teams, and a 81mm mortar carrier) has to clear the enemy off some high ground overlooking a town. Leaving the warm, cozy confines of the town immediately exposes them to arty fire, as you would imagine.

While I am not just looking for help in this one instance, I am more interested in the SOP for this type of situation. Are rifle platoons equipped to act independently like this in the real world? I find it hard to believe that SOP would send the infantry out in the open to flush out the bad guys from their hiding places, taking heavy casualties in the process.

I plan on ordering the good Major's Military Reference CD in hopes that this question and all of my other ones are addressed.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi, Jim!

> I plan on ordering the good Major's Military

> Reference CD in hopes that this question and

> all of my other ones are addressed.

I really do recommend to buy it because of the wealth of information it contains. However, please do *not* except any gamey "HowTo"s on this CD; it rather is packed with a lot of (I think more than 150) original Field Manuals and other reference material. Of course, you can find an answer to the question "How does a MechInf platoon do recce?", but it may be "hidden" among many other things... ;-p

I am playing the "Team Krempp" scenarion wherein a US rifle platoon (3 inf sqds, 2 MG teams, 2 ATGM teams, and a 81mm mortar carrier) has to clear the enemy off some high ground overlooking a town. Leaving the warm, cozy confines of the town immediately exposes them to arty fire, as you would imagine.

I didn't think Team Krempp gave OpFOR artillery, or even mortars. (Of course I haven't actually tried the v4 version of this scenario, so it may be different.)

In any case, Team Krempp is IMHO the hardest of the Team series scenarios. Part of the reason for that is that between the time it was initially created and now, improved positions have been improved to make them more effective. This has the effect of somewhat unbalancing this particular scenario. But it is possible to win it. Just very difficult, since the Blue Forces don't have quite as much mortar ammo, an in particular smoke that you would like.