Editing the map

iggi

I have been really screwing around with the textures in the game. Alot of fun. The battlefield looks like I scribbled all over it with crayons.

I noticed that with a texture like say 1504, the texture is laid over terrain that is not always the same height. Can we assign a height to a texture so that only that height has it. If we can't do that, can we edit where textures are placed down to the triangular facets?

Moreover, I twiddled with the German uniform textures and gave them a nice red smock, hehe. Can I assign a different texture to say a panzerfaust squad's uniform?

Could I assign a texture that depends on the units state/strength/speed/last action..you get the idea.

C'mon you can say it...

Veeeeeeram.

I'm not disputing the potential usefulness to a player of such coloring, but you'd have to do it to units on the current player's side only, to avoid giving away information about the opponent's units.

and personally, I don't want Steve and Charles working on "Cool" until I'm playing the real thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>, but you'd have to do it to units on the current player's side only<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes of course. I don't care what the other player sees. I am trying to personalize my battlefield. What crayons the other HQ has is thier business.

When I change textures in my BMP file, it doesn't affect what the other player sees.

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 02-11-2000).]

So what Big Time can do is supply a unit's base with say 5(whatever) different texture codes each depending on state.All those texture codes have identical textures. Then the player goes in his own BMP file and adjusts them to his liking. Now the other player will not see any new info cause he sees the same identical textures based on state that shipped with the game. Only I see the new textures I added to each texture code included with each state

Guest Big Time Software

Iggi, pretty much all you are asking for is cool, but all of it requires programming time and, in the case of triangular terrain, major overhauls to the engine. Right now the entire engine is based on tiles. There are huge number of nerdy coding reasons why, and I only understand a few of them smile.gif

VRAM is an issue for some of your suggestions, but in a year or so it won't be a concern so we are planning on doing a lot of improvements to CM2 that will pretty much rule out 8MB cards and systems under 200 MHz. Right now we can't, and won't leave these people in the dust, but CM2 will certainly raise the bar.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iggi:

So what Big Time can do is supply a unit's base with say 5(whatever) different texture codes each depending on state.All those texture codes have identical textures. Then the player goes in his own BMP file and adjusts them to his liking. Now the other player will not see any new info cause he sees the same identical textures based on state that shipped with the game. Only I see the new textures I added to each texture code included with each state<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IGGI,

Tell these good folks who you are and what you have done...then they'll know why you are playing around with this stuff...

Good to see you again.. biggrin.gif

Archangel (RB2Beta)

You must have me confused with a greater more noble iggi. I don't know you archangel.

PS The idea about various texture codes for the same object depending on state would not give anyone new info. It's just another way of showing it.

Oh well, until CM2. Who knows, maybe I'll have learned to program by then. Don't know if anyone heard of the book, 'learn to program in visual basic 6' by John Smiley. Good book, easy to understand.

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 02-11-2000).]