Tank Abandonment

Hey Fellas,

Last night one of my Panthers was almost directly hit by a U.S. fighter-bomber. After the bomb run its status was:

Gun Damaged

Immobilized

No Crew Killed

The tank was now stuck in the newly created bomb crater. After this was done I blew out a small sigh of relief. My tank was still in a good position, had good cover, and none of my crew where killed or shocked. Yet before the end of the turn my crew abandons ship. Could it have been because I had gun damage, meaning that all weapons where disabled? If so, then I don't blame them. But if I remember correctly, I thought the last time I experienced gun damage my tank continued to fire. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one fellas. I'll await your always-respected response.

Thanks,

-Head

------------------

"No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

I think it really depends. If you were the crew, and had just survived being blown to pieces by a 500lb bomb, your tank was immobilized, and the gun was damaged, the best thing you could do was to bail and get the hell out of there.

Most of the time I have found that a gun-damaged tank is a useless tank. The crew probably felt the same way.

GUN DAMAGE means all turret-mounted (or superstructure-mounted, for SP guns) are out of order. Main and coax guns are affected. Hull mounted guns can continue to fire.

It's been my experience that vehicles that are immobile and main weapon-less will always be abandoned in a few minutes. The crews know that their vehicle is still a target, and what's the point of remaining in a big, steel, stationary target?

DjB

Crew status makes a big difference in whether they will bail out after being gun damaged and immobilized. Elite crews usually stay in, unless one of the crewmen is killed.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I actually did some fun stuff (a scenario called KABOOM!) last night with King Tigers and US AT guns. I experimented with longest-range-for-kill, etc, and found that the KT crew would bail out after the tank lost its gun and was immobilized, regardless of experience. An ELITE crew bailed, on average, 2 turns after the tank was immobilized/disarmed.

That's another thing that affects this; enemy presence. A tank crew will stay aboard a helpless vehicle more readily if there's no real threat to their safety; get a big gun in the area and the crew will scout a path to safety PDQ.

DjB