Hiding infantry behind tanks?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sven:

Isn't that possible? There always seem to be a line of sight through the tanks, and the units are firing right through the tank.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it is not possible, b/c of CPU-hit reasons. There have been a lot of discussions about this. Basically vehicles do not block LOS, unless they are burning. If you do a search, you will find the reasons why.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcusm:

I still think they should try and search for some compromise solution though. It would be nice to use tanks to cover for advancing infantry.

Why not make them half obstacles like walls?

Marcus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've read posted elsewhere, it's because of what Andreas has said: too large a hit on the CPU. The game is already tracking all sorts of units, individuals within units, and the projectiles coming from those units, and all the accompanying lines of site. Now turn a mobile unit into something with terrain capabilities (blocking fire, blocking LOS), and it becomes a complete mess. It isn't a matter of what kind of blocking power to give them, it's that it can't be done within the limits of technology and coding.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peterk:

Actually, radio-controlled walls would be a nice idea for a new unit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only after the Volksfestklospüle Sdkfz.123456 Ausf.99(h), and the Eierlegendewollmilchsau Sdkfz. 987654 27B-6 but before the Maus, if I have to say anything about that.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Only after the Volksfestklospüle Sdkfz.123456 Ausf.99(h), and the Eierlegendewollmilchsau Sdkfz. 987654 27B-6 but before the Maus, if I have to say anything about that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acckk! He's doing it again, he's on about the plumbing weapons...moan...

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It isn't a matter of what kind of blocking power to give them, it's that it can't be done within the limits of technology and coding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've got the code to do it. That's certainly possible. Making it fast is something entirely different.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Acckk! He's doing it again, he's on about the plumbing weapons...moan...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll stop now - but the vision of radio-controlled walls just made me do it. Close your eyes, think about it and try not to laugh. That was Hitchhiker's Guide stuff...

As for the code, I somehow doubt they have it. There are no moving LOS obstacles in the game, so while I have no clue about coding, I wonder whether it is in the engine at all.

------------------

Andreas