campaigns

Will there be a way to keep track of your record and statistics against certain players. If I remember right The Perfect General did this. Also The Perfect General had a campaign system where both players played each scenario (battle/campaign in CMs case) from both the Red and Blue sides. After that the supreme victor was determined. This might be an easy way to add another layer of depth to the game. It would be nice to set up these personal tournaments yourself. That is which battles to use.

Guest Big Time Software

We are not planning on doing something like this, though it isn't a bad idea. As it is Combat Mission has so much depth (more than any game we have ever played) that we aren't going to make a Spring release. Adding even more will make it a Fall release smile.gif

Steve

As a Perfect Generaler I concur with Rod. Perhaps in a later version? The Perfect General is still alive and well -- at least as well as it gets. There is something about that crippled AI and blotched game system in other aspects that works in spite of those defects. The challange of authoring further developments of interesting play with the editor is not the least of its continueing success.

For Multi-player games (PBEM etc) most games just have an on-screen displayal of the battle results.

To be honest this doesn't hack it. more than once in SP3 etc I haven't been able to access the screen (due to SP3 not working particularly well on my Win 98 machine) and generally it is a pain in the ass to have to send a 1 Mb saved game JUST to allow the other player to view the result.

For leagues etc it would be much easier if the game generated a Text file with all the information given at the end of a game. This would allow:

a) Players to swap the text file at the end of the game if one doesn't want to receive the whole saved game

b. The players to send this text file to a laddermaster so HE can enter in all the data his ladder uses (direct from the game as it were).

c. Provide an easily accessible text file giving your results on any particularly awesome battles. I know that I would have liked to keep some of my Close Combat or TOP results but the sheer hassle of taking things down off the screen onto paper dissuaded me.

d. It would certainly add to the after action reports which are being written about various other games if you could just paste in the entire results of a CM battle. (perhaps with a turn by turn breakdown of losses including which unit killed which enemy units ?)

e.g. C1 (unit designation) Tiger I fired at and destroyed B3, B4 & B5 M18s on turn 5.

A result text file like Fionn suggests is something I suggested a couple of months ago on the old forum. I think BTS said then that they wouldn't put it in. But hey, maybe we can persuade them to put it in the next version, CM2.

• 1 year later...

Any chance of resurrecting this campaign concept, BTS? Snapdragon started a thread on this topic yesterday so I did some searches and come up with what you see above. Even a more detailed after-action report dumped to a text file would be extremely useful for people trying to run RPGs or campaign games.

Thanks.

Yorick