MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS

I can't tell you how much I've been anticipating this game! Still playin the original Steel Panthers, LOL!! One thing we need to have though...is extensive multiplayer support and get this game out there so it continues to be upgraded and supported. If we get some interest at one of the major hosting sites...we may have a big thing grow here...

Is there a way to get MPlayer or one of the other big sites to take a look at multiplayer options on their servers? Also...someone needs...no MANY of us need...to go to StarLance.com and get them up to date about this game. If StarLance starts a CM league with rankings...this thing will take off like a rocket!!

Guest phoenix

What's the point of getting Mplayer involved??? Seriously, I don't follow. The game is a two person wargame. Moves can take a fair amount of time. So long as someone has email capability they can play. Soon IP play will be supported. What good would Mplayer do???

Starlance? Never heard of it. I would hope instead that the game get great reviews in the game magazines. Then it may take off, but it will still be a pretty narrowly focused audience.

Just my .02

Something I have been thinking about... does anyone else think that it would be usefull to have a pbem manager built into the Game... now I have a very basic Idea of how hard this would be (pretty damn hard I'm sure)... but it would be so nice to be able to simple start up CM, go to your list of current games, click on a new turn, play the turn, and have CM automatically send out the pbem turn to your oppenent while you go and play another turn...

who knows, I may try to write something like this... (well, I don't know about native email support, but at least an organizer or something to that effect (can you tell that I'm started to get overloaded with pbem turns??)

the only problem of course with me doing anything like that is, well, I code on a PC... I'd need someone to port to mac.....

and It'd take a lot more spare time than I have at the moment... maybe when the new semester starts...

-EridanMan

Ok...some may have missed my point here. The post wasn't intended as a 'plug' for any specific game server or ladder league. I have no idea how experienced folks on this board are at PBEM, but from years of doing it let me tell you it can't compare to a hosted matchmaker site.

Has anyone here played any of the 'Panzer General' or 'Steel Panthers' series on a hosted site? It's GREAT! No lack of opponents...you can almost always find someone to play against 24/7. Ever noticed how playing against the same PBEM friend almost gets to be like playing the AI? Playing at a hosted matchmaking site is very sweet...one person makes a room, sets terms for the battle...another joins there, and boom! Off you go! Much easier and more fun than digging thru email addresses and stretching the game out over several days of "check mail, do turn, repeat until exhausted".

And the ranking system...I used StarLance as an example, but if you're a good wargammer, wouldn't you like to see how you're ranked against others? I used to kick around StarFleet Battles ages ago for fun, and StarFleet Command is there; it's awesome to see myself listed as the #1 Federation commander out of 1200+ active players! Wouldn't it be great to see a listing of CM players and see how you rank against hundreds of other players? I just did a search via Yahoo to see if there is any listed site...official or fan...and this is it. The game's going to be awesome...I think having a huge group of opponents to match up against would only make it better.

Anyone else with thoughts on this? I've played wargames for quite some time...Panzer Leader...Third Reich...Squad Leader...the list could go on forever; computers make it SO much easier to concentrate on play...and a broader base of opponents readily available on-line makes it easier to find someone to crush other than the AI....