Fulda Gap '85

Scout_42MDP

Anybody try this game or any of the other similar ones made by this Tiller guy?

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/FuldaGap/FuldaGap85.html

It really looks like my cup of tea, as that was one of my teenage dreams to beat back the Warsaw Pact hordes with the 11th ACR in Fulda(Ya, I'm a little weird I guess tongue.gif ) There is no demo and the price is a little high for a non-mainstream game. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and would recommend it.

Hey all,

I'm an HPS player who is looking into TacOps ... so I'm lurking and absorbing what I can about TacOps while looking over the Demo.

As for Fulda Gap, I've not played that specific title, but I've played many of the Panzer Campaign games. Fulda works with the same engine as the Panzer Campaign series (with the small modification of 1 mile hexes and 3 hour turns). The engine itself is fantastic. However, given that there's no demo (a long story in itself) it can be hard to tell if its to your liking. Tiller's operational games feel like boardgames ported to the computer -- all the fun, none of the hassle of charts and dice. The turn-based action is mature (no dancing to draw defensive fire, etc). Game play varies from small 10 turn scenarios to the monster campaign and its variants (usually 150 or so turns)! The AI is pretty sharp for solo play. Its not a genius but its a good opponent when you're learning the system.

I know the price is comapratively steep. The minus is that there is no map editor - thus you can only design new scenarios that are based on the existing map (which is HUGE). Here are some plusses: 1) The OOB is completely editable, if you don't agree with some obscure rating of the units you can change it. The community already has dedicated designers making some great scenarios for all the games. 2)Tiller fully supports his games. When he puts out a new game with a new interface or gameplay feature, he updates ALL of the older games with the same features, he does the same with the documentation.

If you want some well informed opinions, try the forums over at the Blitz ladder http://www.theblitz.org. The Panzer Campaign forum is THE online forum for this line of Tiller's games.

Happy Gaming

[ February 03, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Greenman ]

This is one of so many games by John Tiller which use the Panzer Campaigns system, or whatever the mother engine is called.

I don't like these games. They have inefficient interfaces (clear enough, but very slow to play) and I don't like the way they seperate the arms (there are combat bonusses for moving arms in combination, but they only partly make up for it). I also have serious issues with the OOB for the one I have (Normandy).

But then there are very few games I like.