-> Allied forces reference material

Hi guys,

i noticed that while there is an abundance of material on german equipment and organisation, it is far harder to find on the allied troops.

I am looking for general information on TO&E's, standard weaponry, uniforms and kits, tactics, supply etc. etc.

Basically all you can find in the excellent 'handbook on german military forces; us army 1944'. I am looking for similar books on the american, british (&commonwhealth) and russian armies.

I've seen the 'reading list's but they don't give enough information on the content so i am not sure if those titles will provide what i am looking for.

So could anybody suggest such material and give a brief overview? All input is welcome.

Thanx in advance, stefan.

Here's a couple:

World War II Order of Battle by Shelby Stanton. Excellent source on the US Army. Covers all divisons and regiments. Breaks down divisions through battalions. Covers, inf, armor, engineers, AT , everything. Maybe out of print, I got it online. See if Hooked on History as it. histor1@attglobal.net.

Mine is the 1984 edition.

Battle of the Bulge by Danny Parker. Excellent work on all forces involved. B&N has it in their stores in a softback version now--well worth it.

US Army Handbook by George Forty. Pretty good material here, too.

Hope this helps..

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Hello

>I am looking for general information on

>TO&E's, standard weaponry, uniforms and

>kits, tactics, supply etc. etc.

Qaulity books dealing with Allies can be difficult to find but they are out there. A nice source of info on the British/Commonwealth forces from D-Day to VE-Day is a set of 2 new books by Jean Bouchery from the French Publish Histoire & Collections (avail in English).

Book 1 is titled "From D-day to VE-day the British Soldier - vol 1 Uniforms, Insignia, Equipments"

Books deals with Organization, Armanent, Tanks and Vehicles.

Both books are very good (few small mistakes) and provide a solid picture of the organization of the British army. Vol 2 in particular is full of tables, charts and graphs providing a solid ref for the principal British units.

They retail for about $45-50 Cdn

Ralph D, Mccooper and Airborne,

Thanx all you guys for your input.

'British Army Handbook 1939-1945 - George Forty'

'Red Army Handbook 1939-1945 - Steven Zaloga'

'Us army handbook - George Forty'

These seem obvious choices smile.gif i'm gonna check them out.

'World War II Order of Battle by Shelby Stanton'

'From D-day to VE-day the British Soldier by Jean Bouchery vol 1 & 2'

I recon these are somewhat harder to find, i will see if my budget is able to handle these wink.gif.

'Battle of the Bulge by Danny Parker'

Looks like a great resource for Bulge scenario's.

Thanx again all.