OK...What am I doing wrong?

Macintosh B&W G3/350

I put the three files (OpenPlayLib, TCP/IP, and Appletalk) in the CM folder per instructions. Every time I create a TCP/IP game I get the following error message after entering my password --

ERROR: Cannot open connection on TCP/IP network

I know TCP/IP is just fine. After all, I'm entering this message! wink.gif

Any suggestions?

Guest Madmatt

And read the docs, that error can occur if your behind some kinds of firewalls, don't have a true routable IP address or a number of other issues.

Madmatt

Make sure you fill in empty spaces with zeros. For example, say the ip address is 987.62.742.22. The way you would want to enter it on the screen is 987.062.742.022. I could just be an idiot but i couldn't connect either until I added the zeros. So remember the zeroes.

HRKing

I am not behind a firewall. I am using a cable modem with a static IP address. Numerous other games work via IP.

I tried running as a host by creating the game. I get so far as entering the password and then the error message occurs.

I never even get to enter the TCP/IP address.

Guest Madmatt

It's ok Cueball, he have seen this from time to time. Do me a favor. Lauch the game and try to start a TCP/IP game. When you get that error I want you to just click thourgh (click OK or whatever it offers) and then exit the game. Now, go to the CM folder and you will see a Errorlog.txt file. Copy rhat file, fill out the Bug Report form you will find in the Read Me folder and send it wit hthe errorlog in to the address supplied.

There are a number of things it could be, but it will help us narrow it down if we get that errorlog. I have also seen where some ISP's are actually blocking some TCP/IP ports and that can cause a similar error but as you get that error immeditaley I think it is something else.

Thanks for your help.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-29-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Hmm, no I don't see it with that email name. Go ahead and send again and make sure the subject is as EXACTLY as I say in the bug report form. That way it goes into a special folder I have set up.

Madmatt

I am having exactly the same problem (I have sent the bug report to you already, Matt.) Were you seeing this problem on a Windows 2000 machine? All of my machines are Windows 2000 Pro. so it sounds like CM may just have some problems with Windows 2000 (which bites!) All of my other games are working OK under Windows 2000 so I hope this can be worked out for CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Claytonious:

I am having exactly the same problem (I have sent the bug report to you already, Matt.) Were you seeing this problem on a Windows 2000 machine? All of my machines are Windows 2000 Pro. so it sounds like CM may just have some problems with Windows 2000 (which bites!) All of my other games are working OK under Windows 2000 so I hope this can be worked out for CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't you read the README? They have an issue with Wiundows 2000, but are working on a solution for the Final patch.

Guest Madmatt

Well CM is coded on Mac OS 8.6 so it should have everything needed to run the game.

Remember, there is more to TCP/IP than getting on the net and browsing. Different tasks require different TCP ports to be open so its possible to be able to surf the net yet not get email or play a network game.

Madmatt

Yes, I'm well aware. Since I never get to the host screen, I was surmising CM was unable to recognize that I had TCP/IP installed.

Do you know if it's doing a port check before getting to the host screen?

I have no firewall software installed nor a router to pass through other than my ISP's. Just the computer and the cable modem.

I've considered installing OS 8.6 from scratch on another partition and booting from that for testing. I was hoping someone in the user community or BTS has an answer before I went to all that trouble.

I found the problem!!!

(and do I feel silly....)

Previously, I was getting the message, "ERROR: Cannot open connection on TCP/IP network"

When I copied the OpenPlay Modules into the CM folder, I did just that....without the folder. The modules were in the CM folder per instructions but they were not in the "OpenPlay Modules" folder. They must be in that folder in order for OpenPlay to find them. OpenPlay did not find the TCP/IP module, hence the error.