Correct use of artillery & smoke?

I was just curious, what's the role of artillery in a CM scale battle? It seems that it's not really to pound known enemy positions to soften them up for attack, as that should have been done prior to a battle occuring(you don't tend to have massive barrages landing while your men advance). Also, the long delay between giving orders and seeing incoming rounds seems to preclude using artillery on mobile troops without it being almost totally hit and miss.

So, what's the correct use? Suppression of large areas? Trying to shake up the enemy? Creating zones that they can't move through?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, what's the correct use of smoke? Hiding the approach of assaulting soldiers, or what? Should I drop a massive smoke screen on an enemy position, or between the enemy or myself?

I find smoke hard to use as a cover because not only do you have to time your advance to corrospond with the smoke shells hitting, but you also have to guess when the shells will actually produce smoke and how long it will last.

Any thoughts, suggestions, love poems, etc, appreciated.

Softening up/suppression is exactly what artillery and mortars are for. Try it and see... it can make a big difference. Lower quality troops will sometimes just split from a position when shelled.

I prefer mortars to artillery. In my experience, artillery does seem to inflict more casualities, but mortars don't do too badly and seem to suppress just as well. Besides, off-board mortars respond faster, cost less, and can sustain fire much longer.

On-board mortars can be a little tricky to use, but in a good position, with an officer nearby to spot for them they can bring down some decent firepower awfully quick.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

I was just curious, what's the role of artillery in a CM scale battle? It seems that it's not really to pound known enemy positions to soften them up for attack, as that should have been done prior to a battle occuring(you don't tend to have massive barrages landing while your men advance).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? I do.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So, what's the correct use? Suppression of large areas? Trying to shake up the enemy? Creating zones that they can't move through?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, all of those, though the use of a barrier barrage must mean you have a huge surplus of artillery available. I never have, so I prefer hitting known or suspected enemy positions.

The technique is to advance a scouting force until the enemy discloses his positions then hammer the sucker while you move your troops into assualting position. Lift the arty while using supporting suppressive fires, close with the enemy and take him out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, what's the correct use of smoke? Hiding the approach of assaulting soldiers, or what? Should I drop a massive smoke screen on an enemy position, or between the enemy or myself?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best use I've found is to screen the movement of troops over open ground. It isn't necessary to screen them every inch of the way, just enough so that no-one can draw a bead on them long enough to do harm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I find smoke hard to use as a cover because not only do you have to time your advance to corrospond with the smoke shells hitting, but you also have to guess when the shells will actually produce smoke and how long it will last.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always use smoke from onboard sources, so it arrives the same turn I call for it. Yes, it does take some experience to know how quickly it is going to become effective and what the duration will be. I admit that I could use some more of that experience myself.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

I was just curious, what's the role of artillery in a CM scale battle? It seems that it's not really to pound known enemy positions to soften them up for attack, as that should have been done prior to a battle occuring(you don't tend to have massive barrages landing while your men advance). Also, the long delay between giving orders and seeing incoming rounds seems to preclude using artillery on mobile troops without it being almost totally hit and miss.

Any thoughts, suggestions, love poems, etc, appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<portions of original snipped>

Actually, there were not many instances of long, drawn out artillery barrages before assaults. (guns weren't lined hub to hub ala 1914) Granted, it did happen sometimes in the West. (more often in the East) Arty did frequently drop on friendlies (simply because the forces involved were so much more mobile than they had been in '14) Canadian forces in Normandy advanced as tightly behind a creeping barrage as possible, because it didn't take the Jerries long to pop up out of their hidey holes. (and there are more than a couple of accounts how this tactic cost a lot of Canucks their lives).

I believe concentrated WW2 arty was more frequently used as an interdiction tool behind enemy lines. (staging areas, counterbattery, forward dumps etc.) The stuff in CM are the assets tasked directly to you... (but only for a few minutes because they were also tasked with helping the companies on your virtual flanks... that's why a 14" is only a few shells... the Texas, lying off the coast, was much more importantly employed plastering targets inland than assisting your battalion) I have always felt the average CM scenario leaves you with enough time to do a bit of scouting, bring up your FO and call down fire where it's needed... and if not, certainly enough time to get a look at the general area you think the OppFor are in and call in wide area targeting to put the suppression on.

Smoke is a great tool... I've used it to good effect on the advance and the 'retrograde movements'. (If you have to give up your defenses and bail off the map to save points, you want to bring as many men off as you can... nothing worse than being shot down in the back.) Also good for 'blinding out' long range killzones where you think the badguy is hiding his Tigers and jagdpanthers... it may be the only way of giving your Shermans the chance to close the gap.

As for a poem... "Canons to the left of them, Canons to the right of them... into the Valley of Death rode the 600..."