Laptop without 3D card--worth it?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perpster:

Will Combat Mission be worth playing on a Gateway Solo 9100 laptop without a 3D card but with 128ram and PII 300? Any comments welcome at perpster@aol.com. Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should add that my video is by Trident Cyber 9397 PCI, 4mb, featuring DirectDraw 1.00.

Do you know what kind of video card it DOES have? It doesn't work on my PII-400 IBM Thinkpad with a NeoMagic 256AV. Well, actually, I should qualify that. It runs like a slideshow, which I would deal with if it didn't also have this other problem - for some reason all of the white/light colors come out as a HORRID green. It's like playing that first Diakatana level only worse.

So I think it will depend on your laptop.

Note, I posted my Neomagic issue and no help was forthcoming, so I don't think this is fixable.

------------------

wako

"All models are wrong - some are useful.'' - George E.P. Box

Check out my CM webpage at http://ccpirate.webjump.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wako:

- for some reason all of the white/light colors come out as a HORRID green. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you think that's ugly, you should take a look at my Toshiba Tecra 8000. All the white/light colors are dark pinkish!!! biggrin.gif

"Oh man, we gotta stop grow our own tobaco in the engine vents"

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

Guest KwazyDog

Perpster, Id check the demo out if I was you, it would give you a good indication of how the final version will play on your system.

My guess is that it will play pretty well, the proof is in the pudding though, its best to be sure smile.gif

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 with the Ati Mobil-p accellerator... even with the 8 meg ATI card CM gets pretty choppy at 1024x768 and the cool smoke effects don't work frown.gif. My machine is a pIII 500 with 96 megs of ram...

Unfortunately Mobile market is not where its at if you want games capability, my Dell barely cuts it (but it does manage)... I am praying Dell is going to allow upgrades to the new Mobile 128 when they themselves upgrade (the video is on a a seperate riser card inside the machine and is easy to remove, Dell has to offer a replacement part though;( )

we'll see however.

-EridanMan

Thanks for the replies. I dl'd the demo and so far it's lousy on my laptop. Had to go to 400x600 to get rid of exreme choppiness, but still looks ultra cartoonish. I'll tinker a bit with it but it looks like this Mission is a No Go.