1600x1200?

WHat about a 19inch TFT ? biggrin.gif

Wolfe the Sony G400 FD trinitron, is the latest model , very flat, like my E200 FD, its actually way sharper than the 400ps and 500ps smile.gif It has a .24-.25 AG dot picth - your one does, .25-.27

The Tnt card I have wis more than sufficent for CM, just need more memory that's all 32 meg TNTultra would be ideal and a lot cheaper than a Matrox G400, with much better drivers, and faster speed too.

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

Yep, a good monitor will last far longer than your

system will be usefully fast for state-of-the-art 3D gaming.

I still have my NEC MultiSync 3D monitor from my first PC.

And it's over 9 years old! At the time it was one

of the best monitors you could buy and only now that

the picture is getting a little degraded am I going to

get a replacement.

I've decided to get the best image quality 19 inch monitor

I can find to take over my PC chores. As far as running

3D games at 1600x1200, I don't think it's really an

issue for most 3D games. You might be able to make

use of it in CM but if you were playing first-person

games the requirements for high frame-rates go up

tremendously. In CM if the graphics get a bit choppy

you might get annoyed but in a FPS if the graphics get

choppy you tend to die from it. So 1600x1200 isn't really

an option for the most demanding 3D environments. In

those games 1280x1024 is about the max you can run the

game at anyhow without incurring serious loss of frames a sec.

That isn't likely to change any time soon, so I wouldn't

sweat it if your monitor can't run super high res comfortably.

I'd recommend for most players to just get a very good 19

inch monitor and you'll be all set for a long time. smile.gif

My desktop's at 1600*1200@32bpp, so I suppose CM (from what I read here) runs at that resolution and colour depth.

I'm one of the people who honestly admit that they cannot tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps. I've never seen any slowdown in CM: no delays in flipping views or jerky movement or anything else like that. On the other hand, I've never seen any of the larger maps first hand (the maps in the release version do appear to be considerably bigger than the demo maps), so perhaps the release version will be a little slower if there are a lot of buildings and units. However, I'd think that there will have been improvements in the graphics engine since the beta, so perhaps any slowdown will be offset.

PII-450

128Mb

TNT2:Xentor32 Ultra

Hitachi Superscan 753 (19")

I just did 1600x1200@60htz at 32 bits -that's all I can do with my SOny 17 inch . Very useable! Well my SOny 17inch FD is very sharp, so I could read all the writing, every thing was nice and clean , no jaggies (well on a 17inch you want see any jaggies at 1600x1200!) - it wasn't that much slower on my normal TNT2 16 meg card, although 573 mhtz helps biggrin.gif It is slightly more jerky, maybe running at about 35-40 fps? It still moves around the screen smoothly though - I could use it no probs! But it doesn't look that much better than 1152x868 on my 17 inch. You'd need a 19 or 21 incher to really notice.

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

Not weird, Andy. Ever notice how a flickering fluorescent light will give you a bad headache? Same principle. Refresh rates lower than ~75 produce images that flicker enough for the eyes and brain to feel it, even if you can't really see it. Refresh lower than ~60 will produce noticeable flicker, making the game hard to play (as well as giving a nasty headache)

DjB

Yeah, I realise all that. My point was that if I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps (as others claim to be able to smile.gif) then it's strange that my dull sensed eyes can easily see a low quality monitor in action (or a monitor operating beyond its means, don't want to offend you sub-19" guys smile.gif.

I certainly see the difference between refresh rates! Especially since anything above 85 htz dulls the screen somewhat, and gets slightly fuzzy.

Also there is a huge difference between 30 and 60fps! I noticed this in Half Life where you can set the max fps - when I set it to 30 its jerky as heel, and bad for eyes :0 at 60 creamey smooth, there is evena subtle difference between 50 and 60 fps, but above 60 you can't notice any difference.

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

I think that the monitor only dulls at very high refresh rates if its delivery of power can't keep up and only blurs if the monitor's video clock operating near max (mine's 230MHz so there's little problem there). At resolutions below 1280*768 my monitor generally does from 105Hz to 160Hz but doesn't dull or blur because it isn't working very hard at all.

I've always thought that if my frame rate's 60fps I need to increase the detail settings: I can definetly see the difference between low and high detail.

The only irritating thing with an average of about 30fps is that a burst of detail can easily knock the frame rate down to a noticeably jerky level. I suppose that the reason I'm comfortable with 30 is that I was a flight sim jockey for a long time, so 17fps doesn't make me flinch. smile.gif

Exactly. If you don't have an average of 60-70 fps in

many games, there will come times when an unusual amount

of gunfire or explosions will occur and this will cause a

severe drop in fps. This isn't a problem if you have 30

frames to spare. wink.gif If you don't have any frames to spare,

then it can easily get you killed. Plus it's just plain

irritating to be playing a cool game and have it get all

choppy on you at some very interesting moment. smile.gif