AI Not Aggressive?

I've had a blast with Combat Mission (v1.03) as the attacker (A Day in the Cavalry, Elsdorf, Drive to Mortain, etc.). However, I've had two back-to-back bad experiences trying out life as a defender, and I'm wondering what is wrong.

First I was playing "Fear in the Fog" as the Americans against the AI. No spoilers here, but simply put, the Germans just didn't come after me. They milled around and we didn't get into a firefight until the last 3 turns. I won almost by default. I wrote it off and then started Team DeSobry.

Again, as the American defender, the German AI attackers (with +25% forces) were diffident, milling around and hesitant. I was able to fortify the town and even mount a counterattack against them in the 1st scenario simply because there was little pressure by the AI. It's not fun having to go after the enemy when you're the defender, just to get some action before the scenario ends.

What is wrong here? Am I just so well concealed that the enemy doesn't know what to attack? Is there some setting to get the AI to move more aggressively? I don't want to ruin many more scenarios this way. Thanks!

Chris Johnson

P.S. Any recommendations for which side to play in Op Carentan?

Guest Chris B

I have in some scenarios - like you - observed that the AI is not aggressive enough. I particularly remember one quick battle, I played the germans against allied AI.

Assault in 1.01. Attacking AI had lot of tanks a lot of infantry. I had some infantry, 2 panzershrecks and one AT gun and one gun equipped halftrack.

After one minute all my anti-tank was knocked out, usually by the very first shoot fired against them. The rest of the game was just plain painful as the AI fired away at my infantry....

...but only a handful of AI squads dared attack the victory point building. At the end of the game I had 2 badly battered squads still alive and not running. It was enough for a marginal win, due to holding the victory point site, but I had barely dented the AI's forces.

But in other games I have seen a very aggressive AI, throwing wave after wave of units into the fray.

And more usually the AI sends in one squad into close combat while the rest fire away suppressing fire.

So my conclusion is that there are several AIs or several types of plays for the AI, aggressive, normal, cautious....

So if hit by an inappropiate AI for a battle, the AI looks bad. But when hit by an appropiate AI, you get a tense battle.

I've found the AI to be plenty agressive in version 1.05. I just finished a Quick Battle as Germans defending against a British attack. The Brits appeared in some woods on my left flank about 30 meters from my forward 9-man rifle squad, which was dug in on a small wooded hill. The Brits gathered in the woods, enduring mortar fire and a mine field. Then, for about six turns in a row, the AI charged two or three rifle squads uphill, across the open ground, to try to overwhelm my forward squad and get a toehold in my defenses. They drew point blank fire plus grenades from my squad plus enfilading fire from a couple of other squads and a MG. Some turned back but others charged right into the woods and fought to the last man. They finally wiped out my squad on the last turn of the battle, but not before that one squad racked up 29 kills. Looking around after the battle, there were four British 10-man rifle squads eliminated in that area, plus five others that took more than 50% casualties. That's pretty damn aggressive if you ask me!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEF BUNGIS:

Does the "computer expirience bonus" setting have anything to do with this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it does. To guarentee an agressive AI for offense, try giving the AI an advantage. Attacking units in QBs need an advantage so this sounds logical.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.