Rockets vs Arty

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Guys,

A question - do you guys use the rockets instead of Arty ? and if so what benefits do the rockets have, are they better against infantry, armour or buildings? So far i have not used them but was curious to find out your experiences.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Rockets frankly kick some serious ass. Yeah, they're inaccurate, but turn those bad boys loose somewhere where you haven't got anyone nearby, and let 'er rip.

They're fairly useless on small maps, but on any 1500 pt+ engagement, the map'll be big enough to make it work.

And did I mention the price? Often I'll get some just 'cuz they're so damn cheap.

Yes, my friends, rockets are the way of the future.

Gooooooooo NEBELWERFER!

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Disadvantages, never hits anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except your own troops.

------------------

Andreas

There are advantages and disadvantages.

Some real life features of WW2 rocket artillery:

Advantages

The huge ROF.

24 rockets per battery landing on target within 10 sec. This will kill several troops that aren't in cover, it's the first few seconds that provides most of the killing in any artillery mission.

In addition to this there's a profound moral impact. Usually troops in the target area just run around screaming with fear...

Fast response, since there are no aiming rounds.

Disadvantage

Large spread of the sheaf, so not useful against point targets.

It's "spray and pray" that might hit the wrong spot (but the big sheaf will hopefully cover the aiming point anyway) ...

The firing battery is easy to spot at long distance, so counter battery fire is likely to arrive at short notice.

Long reload time.

As for CM:

- In QBs each spotter only get one salvoe (plus one extra rocket, for some strange reason).

- Rockets <30cm don't do much killing with one salvoe.

- Every time I've used rockets they've been on target, defined as the aiming point being somewhere within the sheaf.

- I haven't used rockets enough to notice the morale effect on troops, but it does seem a bit too subtle.

In a designed scenario where I had a couple of rocketeers with several salvoes each and some well placed TRPs, then the rockets were truly devastating...

I was waiting for the eight Shermans to show up and maul my troops, but the rockets had knocked them all out well before they'd started to move.

To summarise:

I rarely use rockets in QBs, other than a battery of 15cm to spend the points if "necessary".

When designing scenarios I might add some rockets, but then each spotter gets more ammo.

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 10-12-2000).]