Check this cool game out!

http://www.strategy-gaming.com/interviews/european_wars/index.shtml

look nices, and looks like its got grogish depth too for a AOE2 type game wink.gif

http://www.strategy-gaming.com/previews/world_in_flames/index.shtml

This game looks good! Huge depth - by an Aussie team too biggrin.gif You can play the whole of WW2!!

"WiF: The Computer game is World in Flames Final on the computer. The entire world is represented on the European scale on a wrap-around map of the world. At 360 x 195 hexes, this is the largest computer wargame ever produced.

For those who play WiF Final, this game will be very familiar and will require minimal time to get into. It will be playable hot-seat, direct connection, modem, over the internet and by e-mail."

here is their webpage

http://www.a-d-g.com.au/

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 03-21-2000).]

The european war game looks pretty crapy! There's nothing really new in it. No troop morale or anything. All they did was let you have up to 8000 units. The fact that you can't rotate the camera is disapointing. After Combat Mission I always find myself trying to rotate the camera in CC and C&C. The game has promise but it looks to be another run of the mill game. And come on! No Mac version?

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

Quote from designers of European Wars:

AB: In EW, artillery has no special enfilade fire mode. An artillery cannon-ball can not cause damage before it reaches the target. After the cannon-ball hits the target, it explodes and causes damage to the target and to all units in certain vicinity to it (a splinter effect).

Exploding cannon balls in 16th -- 18th centuries? I think this single comment just about summaries the designers' approach to historical realism. (And yes, I'm aware that the artillery of that period could fire exploding shells but they were pure siege weapons and were of no use in battlefield.)

Another gem:

SGO: Do formations block line of sight or at least fire of rifles and cannon?

AB: No. Only landscape irregularities, walls, and buildings are obstacles for shooting.

Based on the interview I'd say that the game is simply a C&C clone with historical unit names.

- Tommi

Great news on WIF. I've owned the game for a long time but have never been able to play it for lack of opponents.

The article says the game was supposed to be released in 10/99, obviously not the case. The link to the designer doesn't work for me so I am unable to find any updates...can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

Thanks for the link to European Wars. It looks like an easier *game* to play that AOE2. I'm not looking for hyper realism in an RTS. I do look for fun gameplay. I like that the resources are infinite(except food).It's silly to think that a country runs out of resources in one battle like in AOE games. Less resource management means more gameplay.

Scott K

there is a link to their website - in the topic's first message smile.gif

here is a quote from their site -

Release Oct 2000

Dear Wiffers,

There has recently been some discussion about Computer World in Flames and so I thought I would provide you with an update as to its progress.

I realise that Computer WiF has been much delayed and for this I apologise. When we took this on as our first computer project, we seriously underestimated the amount of effort it would take to turn a boardgame which contains 128 pages of rules into a complete computer game.

You will no doubt be pleased to hear that we are now in the position of having finalised 95% of the code if you exclude the Artificial Intelligence component. As to the production of the AI, we have had many conflicting

views from our customers, some saying we can't produce a version without the AI, others that the AI doesn't matter.

To resolve this issue, ADG has decided to produce a pre-release version of the game which will exclude the AI. This version will be sold at a 33% reduction in price of the final release game (50% discount for LoC

subscribers). Furthermore, those who buy the pre-release version will get the final version for 50% off as well. We hope that this approach will satisfy all (or nearly all) our valued customers.

By producing a pre-release version, we believe that our currently proposed release date of October is viable. In the meantime, we will be completing the testing process to ensure that the pre-release version is just as

stable as the final version. If there is any change to the timeline, you will be the first to know.

Thank you for your patience, and hopefully your long wait is nearly over and will have been worthwhile.

Regards

Harry Rowland

Managing Director

Australian Design Group

Iggi - yeap, that's what I like the most. I love been able to stretch the game forever, and build awesome walls and defences smile.gif That's has always been my major source of fun

for me in RTS games, builing awesome Defence, and see how the AI tries to beat it wink.gif

On another note, I bought Grand Prix World today - there are some F1 freaks here like Fionn :P This game is great for you F1 manager types out there - I love it! biggrin.gif

Also my friend has been raving about Age of Wonders...

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 03-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 03-23-2000).]