Where can I get WWII minutures/models?

Tamiya makes lots of military model kits. Their website www.tamiya.com has links to dealers (mostly hobby shops) that carry their kits, organized by state.

Also check out www.ghqmodels.com - among other things they have a WWII Micro Armour product line (1:285 scale pewter miniatures, about $8 for a pack of around 5 vehicles). They were recommended for use in Deluxe ASL. Hmmm ... I'm starting to salivate ... ::checks credit card balance::

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

killmore-

I do some 1/35 scale modelling and 15mm WWII wargaming (actually ASL on the tabletop).

Check my wargames page http://www.provide.net/~dalem/wargaming.html for links to the aforementioned GHQ for the teeny micro-armor and Old Glory and Quality Castings for 15mm armor/soldiers.

For your 1/72 fix I know that most hobby stores here in the U.S. carry plenty of 1/72 armor kits. I don't know where you're located, but I assume the hobby stores there are coming up short? Maybe they could order something for you?

Good Luck

dale

You can always try Ebay, I've found a 200 piece Rifle Company at 1/72 scale for about $20 on it.

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 03-01-2000).]

I always thought this table wargaming stuff w/ the minitures looked cool.

I went to a hobby shop and noticed it was damn expensive too and that kinda shot that idea down, plus no one I know would try to play it w/.

Anyway, have fun, and I take miniture donations!!

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

"Tomorrows killed by yesterday..." -Link80

Go to my soldiers at war page~!! http://www.geocities.com/soldiersat_war or I'll sick a goat on you!

• 2 weeks later...

1/35 scale is better for vehicles and much better for men but is too darn expensive,

most of the 1/70-9 scale models are just to make nice pretty little airbases for your plane models!!

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

This ones for killing, this ones a tasty alternative to turkey at christmas.....

Killmore,

I always rely on the Toy Soldier Company in matters like this. They've never ceased to amaze or please me with the number of items they have and new ones are always on the way! Their website is www.toysoldierco.com.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

[This message has been edited by Gen. Sosaboski (edited 03-14-2000).]

killmore, the best web based model store that I have found is www.hobbyweb.com. They carry alot of 1/72 and 1/76 armor and figure models. Their prices are very competitive and they are very prompt in shipping and delivery. I have ordered about 6 models from them and have never had one single problem. I would highly recommend visiting their website and checking it out to see if they have anything that interests you.

dano6

Guest Scott Clinton

killmore:

I have quite a bit of 1/72 stuff still in the box.

If you are interested drop me a line and I will send you a list. Otherwise I will be selling it on eBay one of these days.

eBay is where I would recommend. If you know what you want, and what it should cost you can get some GREAT deals there. But, make sure you know what you are buying.

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

If you don't mind the snail-mail (mail-order) route, go to the link below for the Squadron Shop. They pretty much carry everything & anything related to plastic models, tools, decals, references, etc.

For quality 1/72nd Scale model aircraft, my first recommendation is Hasegawa, although they're a bit pricy. (Oh hell, they're just plain overpriced. period.) An excellent runner-up is Academy/Minicraft, with much better prices and good overall kit quality. Monogram has turned out some excellent 1/72 kits recently, like their FW-190.

For 1/72nd armor models, well, it's a mixed bag. ESCI is the most common, but the quality of some of their kits is pretty bad while others are very good. Airfix might have few good ones. Hasegawa also has quite a few 1/72 vehicles, but the quality is not so good in this case.

www.squadron.com

For mail order try http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/

These guys are local to me and are truly excellent. I dont know of a better wargames store in southern california. They also have lots of imported wargame rules & models from the UK so I can relive my teenage years fighting 1/300th battles across the dinner table smile.gif

By the way if price is an issue for a full army (I summe its for wargaming) then try a smaller scale such as 15mm or 1/300th etc. You can build up quite a nice force for teeny bucks.

I second the poster who mentioned Squadron. I do 1/48 scale aircraft and armor, and have been buying kits from them for more than 15 years. If you hate paying postage costs for their kits, buy the stuff they have on sale. That way you still wind up saving a few bucks over the retail price once you figure in the postage. They issue a monthly sales circular of about 24 pages filled with kits in all scales for an annual subscription of $3. Check out their Internet site too.

A word of caution: If you want to build realistic kits, get ready to spend beaucoups time researching, building, painting and decaling. Although you can always build them "right out of the box," you'll quickly discover that you don't want your kit to look like the 10,000 others that everyone else is building from the same box. So pretty soon you'll find yourself making modifications, doing different paint schemes and looking for accurate markings. (The kit makers aren't very good at providing authentic markings and paint schemes. For example, a lot of kit makers won't include swastikas on their decal sheets, even though every German WWII aircraft carried a swastika on the tail. So you have to buy decal sheets in your scale with swastikas. Another thing: in today's "politically correct" world some kit makers won't include decals of the sexy pinup girls that often adorned aircraft fuselages. Again, you have to go out and buy decal sheets from special decal makers to get the gals.)

Good luck!