Stunning Panther Texures!

Guest Pillar

Just wanted to compliment Fernando Julio Carrera Buil for his work on the Panther textures that were posted on Matt's Birthday-mod-blowout.

These are the best thing since sliced bread. smile.gif

I have to agree.

All of my other Panther mods have been put in deep archive or deleted.

These are by far superior to all of them.

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jdmorse:

For me what really sets them apart is the optional details, the numbers, divisional insignias, and panther logo provide a degree of personaliztion that really makes them unique.

Good work

JD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much.

I haven't finished with my Panthers yet.

Here's a preview

View?u=108434&a=793366&p=31680579&Sequence=0&res=high

View?u=108434&a=793366&p=31680580&Sequence=0&res=high

808 was the eight vehicle in eight company (II.Abteilung). All Panzer divisions but one had their Panthers on their I.Abteilung. Fortunately 9.Panzer-Division had its Panthers on the II.Abteilung (5th, 6th, 7th and 8th companies).

Please notice that I have corrected the side hull. It's no longer that of the Panther A. It looked nicer but it wasn't the right one frown.gif Thanks to TheDesertFox for pointing it out.

[This message has been edited by Fernando (edited 10-27-2000).]

Fernando,

I like that red/white 808 as it is now. The size seems about correct to me.

Oh and I see you did a 3rd SS "Totenkopf" too. Well 5th SS "Wiking" which had 2 Abteilungen of Panthers would be more likely to have a 808. Seems like "Modding" for CM2 is already in progress eh ?

Send me a copy of the red/white 808 if you don´t mind wink.gif

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The DesertFox:

Fernando,

I like that red/white 808 as it is now. The size seems about correct to me.

Oh and I see you did a 3rd SS "Totenkopf" too. Well 5th SS "Wiking" which had 2 Abteilungen of Panthers would be more likely to have a 808. Seems like "Modding" for CM2 is already in progress eh ?

Send me a copy of the red/white 808 if you don´t mind wink.gif

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Helge

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget II./Pz.Rgt.23 (96 Panthers in September 1943) smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Splinty:

Great work Fernando! One small request,could you make sideskirts an option for the G models?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I can't. Unfortunately the game don't allow it. I think I could do a Panther A without skirts (making them transparent) but not a Panther G with them frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Fernando (edited 10-28-2000).]

Beautiful textures smile.gif

I know I'm nitpicking but I was considering using '808' myself on a mod until I discovered the standard numbering system in use in 1944/45 makes this number very rare, though not impossible. According to 'Panzer Colors 2', the zero in the middle indicates the HQ section which normally only had 2 tanks - in 8th company's case these would be either '800' and '801' or '801' and '802' depending on the division. After that the first zug/platoon would be '811'-'815', second zug; '821'-'825' and so on...

However the book goes on to state a couple of (unnamed) divisions used the non-standard, consecutive system without regard to zug or vehicle position; eg '801'-'822' so '808' would be a second zug vehicle...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I know I'm nitpicking but I was considering using '808' myself on a mod until I discovered the standard numbering system in use in 1944/45 makes this number very rare, though not impossible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but the point of the whole exercise is that 808 is symmetrical and will make sense on either side of the turret, whereas almost nothing else will.

'Sides, it looks damn cool. Great work Fernando!

ianc

Fernando, you can do the side skirts as missing or even have one or two sections missing or even change the camo pattern on a few of them (almost gives it a look of a in on battlefield repair job), I did it on a Stug. I have turned the PZIV solid sideskirts armor plate into the late war mesh grill type (forgot how to spell it) and have considered turning those into Mad for the group. I even modified the skirts for the new high rez PZIV textures that were posted a few weeks ago. The vehicle has a great new look.

Something else that I also did was to replace the skirts with foliage. The skirts were made transparent and the foliage textures that I copied from trees and from the moded Hetzer were pasted on. (This is the only way you can really put foliage over the tracks. Without the sideskirts the moving treat "bends" the foliage in a weird way. Hard to describe, can only been scene to be believed.) I then foliaged the turret skirts and the front a little. In a tree line the vehicle can be difficult to see.

These type of mods are a great reason why I would like CM2 to allow us to assign textures to specific vehicles or even buildings. It would greatly enhance the look of the scenario. It would allow you to personalize the game a great deal.

MikeT

------------------

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

- Motto of Possum Lodge

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Durruti:

Beautiful textures smile.gif

I know I'm nitpicking but I was considering using '808' myself on a mod until I discovered the standard numbering system in use in 1944/45 makes this number very rare, though not impossible. According to 'Panzer Colors 2', the zero in the middle indicates the HQ section which normally only had 2 tanks - in 8th company's case these would be either '800' and '801' or '801' and '802' depending on the division. After that the first zug/platoon would be '811'-'815', second zug; '821'-'825' and so on...

However the book goes on to state a couple of (unnamed) divisions used the non-standard, consecutive system without regard to zug or vehicle position; eg '801'-'822' so '808' would be a second zug vehicle... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew it but I had no choice. "0" and "8" are the only symetrical numbers and "808" the only choice for a non HQ vehicle. Unfortunately Germans didn't paint "1" as "I" (it was only used for Abteilung HQ vehicles). Fortunately numbers 3, 6 and 9 aren't very different from 8 so you could think that a 808 is a 803, a 806 or any other combination of those numbers when you look at a Panther from a distance.

BTW Durruty is an odd name for me. It was a well known Anarchist leader killed during the first stages of the Spanish Civil War smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeT:

Fernando, you can do the side skirts as missing or even have one or two sections missing or even change the camo pattern on a few of them (almost gives it a look of a in on battlefield repair job), I did it on a Stug. I have turned the PZIV solid sideskirts armor plate into the late war mesh grill type (forgot how to spell it) and have considered turning those into Mad for the group. I even modified the skirts for the new high rez PZIV textures that were posted a few weeks ago. The vehicle has a great new look.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought about it. I know there were some complaints about how easy was to lose skirt sections. Anyway it's very easy to have one or more skirt sections missing. Just paint those sections in the "transparent" pink color. Anybody can do it with a simple program (Windows' Paintbrush for example).

Please send your wire mesh skirts to Madmatt for posting on the CMHQ site. I think it's a very interesting idea. I'd like to get them.

[This message has been edited by Fernando (edited 11-02-2000).]

Fernando, I will collect the BMPs tonight and post them to Mat. I also redid the wood MG bunker. I think it looks a little better. I will submit that to him as well.

Now maybe I will finish my Russian front TC for the game. I am stuck with getting good pics of Russian firearms.

MikeT

------------------

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

- Motto of Possum Lodge

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeT:

Fernando, I will collect the BMPs tonight and post them to Mat. I also redid the wood MG bunker. I think it looks a little better. I will submit that to him as well.

Now maybe I will finish my Russian front TC for the game. I am stuck with getting good pics of Russian firearms.

MikeT

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of wooden bunkers,I had an idea to mod the wood bunker with foliage on it similar to the tree branch camoflage that several recent tank mods have come out with.Only problem is,I'm a total newbie when it comes to using photoshop.Maybe someone who knows what they're doing would like to try this.

ianc:

'Yeah, but the point of the whole exercise is that 808 is symmetrical and will make sense on either side of the turret, whereas almost nothing else will.'

Er...yes I had already grasped this. That's why I said I had considered using it myself tongue.gifMy point was that it was not a number found under the standard system, that's all...And yes it does look good smile.gif

Fernando:

'BTW Durruty is an odd name for me. It was a well known Anarchist leader killed during the first stages of the Spanish Civil War'

'...When a column is tired and ready to drop with exhaustion, Durruti goes to talk new courage into the men. When things go bad up Saragossa way, Durruti climbs aboard an aeroplane and drops down in the fields of Aragon to put himself at the head of the Catalonian partisans. Wherever you go it's Durruti and Durruti again, whom you hear spoken of as a wonder-man.'

Toronto Daily Star, August 5th, 1936