IMac troubles

Help! I am playing battlefront on an IMac that has 64 megs of ram built in and 30 more from virtual memory. The game is playing with 40 megs of ram devoted to it and no other programs running. But more and more, it runs sluggishly, especially in orders phase, and frequently the keyboard or the mouse freezes, or the whole game locks up. I try restrating and rebuilding the desktop, and that doesn't do the trick. Any suggestions out there?

How many games do you have in the saved games folder I am on a G3 Power Mac and that was a problem alos try to delt the prefreances

------------------

Fight for your right!To play CM!:)

Join Rob's CMMC today Email me at <A HREF="mailto:Robisme_ca@hotmail.com

">Robisme_ca@hotmail.com

</A> Rob

For more info on Rob;s CMMC go to Robs CMMC HQ

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/robscmmchqbord

I think Rob means delete the entire CM preference file. It is a common solution to Mac based problems from time immemorial. Delete the relevant pref file restart and see if the problem persists.

Also if the scenario is a large one, with lots of units and action, fog or smoke, switching to fast/compatable smoke often takes care of the CPU hit. If there is a lot to deal with it may take orders a while to crunch the numbers (that moving blue bar)

There is also an iMac issue on the game freezing up. There is a "thingie" that you can disable. Can't remember it now as I accept the very occasional hang up as acceptable (just restart) You might search the Technological forum to see what the "thingie" was.

Good Luck

JD

------------------

Official 3000th poster to the original Peng thread and present at it's demise

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 10-24-2000).]

Thanks, jd. I will trash preferences file and restart. Wasn't sure what you meant by "switching to fast/compatible smoke." And I will search the tech forum for this "thingie." If you come up with a better description, please let me know!

I have the same exact problem with my iMac freezing. You are supposed to disable the backside cache to solve this. I don't remember the name of the utility that does this, but it'll be somewhere in the troubleshooting forum. Also, 30/64 virtual memory, like you have, is a lot. With this much memory, your computer is running at the speed of the hard drive a good deal of the time, not at the much faster speed of the RAM. Try decreasing virtual memory to 20 megs or less if you can, and see if that helps. Also, CM will run much more smoothly at a lower resolution or with fewer colors. Use the monitors control panel to change this.

------------------

Charon doesn't make change.

You will want to buy more RAM. Go to Ramseeker.com

Depending on the iMac you have 128mB is about 80 bucks. You will be glad you did. Its a small price to pay for the added stability and general speedup your machine will enjoy.

Even a paltry 64mb will help...

Karl Mead

A good rule for using VM is to not have anything active loaded into VM. So with 64M your full system and CM have to stay UNDER 64M. VM is not good for making larger memory partitions than you have RAM.. it's for shuffling between programs where programs in the background get dumped out of RAM and into VM.

Anyway, your system and CM should stay within your actual RAM. Keeping VM running will help you, though, because your system and most programs use less RAM with VM running than with VM off.

for you mac PBMers. Here is a cool applescript I hacked together.

ftp://209.224.83.252/cl_folders/CM/Mail%20turn%20to%20Scott.bin

Drop a PBM file on it and it will:

open outlook express

make a new email

address it (based on text in the script)

create the email subject with the name of the file and time and date stamp. If you drop multiple files, it will label the subject "multiple combat mission PBMs" and time and date stamp.

Put a copy of this app in your PBEM folder and when you create a new mail file. just drop it on this.

The only change you need to do in Script Editor is change the TO address and name to whoever you want the file sent to:

property toName : "Scott Karch"

property toAddress : "Scott_K@facilitywiz.com"

You will need a seperate app for each person you want to trade files with, but it's a quick modification. Then just label the app the person's name. Feel free to send ME a pbm if you want. smile.gif

cheers

Scott Karch

[This message has been edited by karch (edited 10-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by karch (edited 10-25-2000).]