Artillery at end of turn

As I'm sure everyone else has noticed, at the end of a turn artillery shells that have been fired during the turn continue to fall even after the 60 seconds are up and everyone has stopped moving. This has two effects: men who otherwise would have moved out of the range of the shells may be hit by them, and there is a lack of artillery shells in the first 10 or so seconds of the next turn, during what should be a continuous barrage.

This isn't something that has a major effect on the game, but if we're down to level of worrying about the effectiveness of MG's in certain types of SP guns in the patches, maybe this could be looked at.

Nick

Hmmm, that means that if you watch 9 or so rounds land after the turn should end, you're getting 9 rounds in 1 second(less, really).

Seems odd, I'd agree. Maybe the artillery crew likes to give it that extra push at the end of a turn and fire and load thier guns in record time.

It's not really a "problem", cos as greybeard has pointed out both sides get the same thing so it will even out over the course of a game, I just thought that it maybe something that could be addressed in any future patches.

I can see why it has been done like this, every shot that is fired in a turn has to be resolved, otherwise you'd have to "catch" all the shots at the end of the turn and freeze them, which could end up being a nightmare computationally.

Then again what are PIII's for if not for this? smile.gif

Just because both sides are getting pounded by artillery while they run in place doesn't make it a non-problem. It's just a balanced screwjob.

If I'm planning well, and am not leaving soldiers standing in the open, or have them run for cover in buildings, it seems very unfair that a platoon would be caught standing in place during a 12 round barrage when they would have made it to cover if the situation had occured in mid-turn.

Guest Madmatt

I asked about this same thing several months ago and the answer that came back was that the shells that are impacting post 60 seconds are ones that were already in the air. You will notice the same thing can occur with mortars and grenades.

I guess the game can't handle shells in progress between turns.

After literally thousands of battles though I have so rarely seen it become an issue that I would hazard to guess that it's not that big of a deal. Just call it a fortune of war and perhaps it can be dealt with in CM2.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-27-2000).]