My tanks won't fire???

QB, probe, snow, night, small map, 400 points i think, I'm the americans, I have 2 scout cars, 2 recon vehicules, and 2 Sherman...Sherman....wait.... 2 M4A1 Shermans. All this against 1 Panzer AV. I pop smoke just to be sure and send 1 sherman in front, the other sherman in a long circle ending up 60m directly behind the PZ. The scouts have orders to run around and hopefully distract the PZ while my other sherman gets into position. The smoke clears, the sherman in front takes a potshot at the PZ, it bounces off the hull but causes the crew to button up. Now my rear Sherman is in position, and I'm drooling at the prospect of kicking this guy's butt. I click Target and the PZ just to be absolutely sure there is no mistake as to what I want that sherman to do, and hit GO. The target line sticks for 5 sec, then disappears. Nothing happens, except my sherman in front that I used to fix the attention of the PZ dies rather quickly. No problem, I think night, snow...he just doesn't see him. So Hunt for 20 M, Target PZ, GO. Still nothing. By now I have a recon vehic behind him too, he won't shoot either. But I've seen a lot of strange things in this game, and read even stranger ones on this forum, so I think..OK, sherman...get even closer! Now he's 20 meters behind the PZ and I'm yelling at my monitor, 'Shoot, dammit! He's dead meat! SHOOT!' (any game that can make me yell at my monitor is a good game, IMHO). Finally I put him RIGHT BEHIND the damm thing...and still he won't shoot!

Now, I've seen this behavior before, when I ordered 60mm mortars to attack a wooden bunker. They fire off a few rounds, then stop, like they're saying, 'Sorry, Cap'n, we can't do anything about that guy with our paltry weapons, it's no use." But a med tank, 10m directly behind the PZ, unbuttoned, with orders to target, and...and..and everything? I figure I need some expert advice here, before I start saying 'bug'. So I guess my question is, is the PZ AV really that tough? Live and learn, next time I'm buying some tank destroyers...

DeanCo--

PZ AV???

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I have seen my units not fire on enemy they didn't have a chance to damage. But with a sherman that doesn't make sense. Perhaps your sherman has gun damage? Is it a regular M4A3 sherman or is it a modified version? (I dont recall if the shermans with lighter guns were included (aa models))

Hi Darwin,

Well, I guess I'm making myself look pretty stupid here...a quick check in the editor shows no Panzer AV listed...but I coulda swore that's what it said in the game. Of course I was paying attention, such a bizzare situation...the gun wasn't damaged, and I'm pretty sure they weren't out of ammo, the small map and 400 points meant there were not that many other targets to kill, anyway I took them all out before working on the 'Phantom Panzer'... the shermans were plain vanilla, I don't know the units good enough to get fancy (as should be evident by my post), and M4A1's, not M4A3's... the closest thing in the OOB is a Panther VA, but I thought I was sure what it said, it said AV. No LOS probs, both the sherman and the 'mystery tank' were on a completely flat road. Anyway, since I seem to have misidentified the German tank I guess it's gonna be hard for someone to help me out...lets just say, is there any German tank that could easily withstand a shot from 10m rear from a Sherman M4A1? So much so that the Sherman refuses to fire?

DeanCo--

BTW, I got your mail, Darwin...thanks.

wierd stuff smile.gif

There is nothing in the game that can shrug off rear hits from a 75" at point blank to my knowledge. Even the venerable Jagdtiger and Konigstiger can be taken out in this manner.

You did say it was nighttime, in the dark it's hard to judge LOS. I'd write it off to that smile.gif

deanco-

I'll hazrd a guess: was the target tank in question a grey 'generic' tank? i.e. something there (something certainly toasted your Sherman!) butnot identifiable by the crews given the visibility conditions?

-dale

thanks you guys...

dalem : no, it was not a generic tank. I'm tellin' ya, that Sherman was so close to the "AV" I could smell the exhaust fumes. Right up on it's butt! You can imagine my dismay when it wouldn't shoot! (oh well, I got to yell at my monitor.) I dunno...I'm new to all this military stuff...maybe they just didn't see it (the dummies!)...I suppose weirder stuff has happened in real life...maybe it was a Panther "RV" instead(recreational vehicule) and the Sherman didn't want to violate the Geneva Convention...who knows!

DeanCo--

Night with snow and low visibility, may be that the Sherman was'nt sure of the target and thought it was the other Sherman. What we see in low visability games is not what the Tac AI sees. That's my only thought.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.