Slopes - again

Might have been a bit too boring for this jolly crowd but I´ll have another go at posting this question smile.gif

What exactly is the “slope” terrain type?

It seems to me that it is not a standard terrain type but rather something that appears “within” other types of terrain, possibly when the gradient gets beyond a certain point.

In any event, it causes a bit of a problem in the gold demo.

Firstly, on the centre road leading down into the valley from the US setup area there are a number of “slope” spots in the middle of the road. These “spots” do not show up unless you pass them with the move cursor (in which case the line turns red, as in impassable), if on the other hand you miss them while plotting the move along the seemingly ordinary road you will find your vehicles laboriously rerouting.

Secondly, on hill 216 for example there are within the ordinary “tall pines” terrain “slope” spots that, unlike the also present “tall pines slope” spots, seems to give considerably less cover (same as clear mayhap?). In a recent game I had a unit moving (crawl) to one such spot and hide. This unit was spotted immediately while others moving in exactly the same way nearby in the “tall pines “ terrain were not. If the “slope” spot indeed gives less cover this was not a chance event. Again, the “slope” spot is smack in the middle of a “tall pines” terrain tile.

Now, I’m not really sure I consider this a bug or a serious problem most of the time, after all, out there in realty you never really know what can be seen from or seen into any minute piece of terrain. However, slope “spots” in the road terrain is a bit of a hassle.

If nothing else Ill keep a lookout for these “troubles” when designing scenarios myself…

M.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I'm confused. confused.gif What slope spots in the road? I've ran several Shermans down that road and didn't have that problem.

Where abouts are they?

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Again, the “slope” spot is smack in the middle of a “tall pines” terrain tile.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It ought not to behave like that, but maybe there's a bug. Can you take a screenshot of the area in question (zoomed out enough so I can locate it on the map and test it myself)? Email to feedback@bigtimesoftware.com. Thanks.

Charles

Guest Scott Clinton

IIRCC in the road on Northwest portion of the VOT map, just east of the 'T-intersection' there is a portion of the road that is impassible to the Shermans (due to the slope is my guess).

There is another area of the road further east of this same intersection where there is a 'rise' leading to the third house.

Now, the road IS passible in both of these locations...if you plot the tanks path 'just right'. It appears that only a portion of the road is impassible (right hand side headin into combat IIRCC).

Also, are there SUPPOSED to be trees in the middle of the road wink.gif I have these in several places too, but they don't seem to slow movement.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 05-17-2000).]

Charles,

I have sent two shots showing the situations I described in the original post.

OB&G I have the shots but can´t seem to post them. Take a look just before the central road from the US setup area reaches the "valley floor", just before the road makes a turn to the left (then proceeds all the way to the crossing).

M.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

Also, are there SUPPOSED to be trees in the middle of the road wink.gif I have these in several places too, but they don't seem to slow movement.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed that too, but the weird thing is my trees actually move when i'm swapping PBEM files!

For instance, i'll open the game for set-up and the trees are smack in the middle of the road. I'll send my file off to my opponent and when i get it back the tree is now on the shoulder.

Spooky... eek.gif

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"