Dead bodies

hmmmm I dont see it as being tedious at all but then again I dont bother keeping track of every individual or hit caused.

When I'm playing I tend to look at things in a general way like this area is taking a lot of fire, most of those units seem to be shattered, that mg is still firing at me, these units are in good enough condition to use for a push, etc

I tend to mentally cycle through area's and gauge relative estimated strengths what I don't do is try to remember which enemy squad took that one casualty 3 turns ago.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I just observe the amount of fire coming BACK at me from the enemy position and use that to gauge the strength of the enemy in that position.

I find that doing the kind of work which was done by actual soldiers works well in CM. IOW as the enemy start getting suppressed and less fire comes your way you start to cause a few casualties. Whether that is 2 or 4 doesn't really matter. What matters is the enemy is shaken and now is the time to assault him.

I've totally abandoned the "listening for each and every casualty caused" idea and simply try to feel the "flow" of the battle. It's hard to explain but as the battle develops you should just be able to "sense" (without a lot of thought and reasoning being done) when the enemy is being suppressed or hurt and soon you get to sense this a turn BEFORE it happens so you can make an assault just as the enemy gets suppressed.

My one big piece of advice to everyone would be to try to "sense" the battle more and try to think about it less.

Most of my most succesfull plans can be summed up as basically, hook around a flank and then drive straight into their side or , hide in the trees and as they come close charge straight into them.. It's not peoples planning that needs to evolve IMO. It's their ability to "sense" the battle.

(Sensing of course is virtually independent of tallies of exactly how many casualties each squad has suffered etc. It depends on "feel". )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

• 4 months later...
Guest Mikeman

I just couldn't resist putting this at the top one last time before release. Nostalgia and all.

Mikeman out. smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... well, we have a newer thread on this now, so I am going to lock up this one and preserve it's memory for ever smile.gif

Steve