Split squads & global morale

[Hmm. Tried to post this last week but the server died on me...]

Hello, BTS,

Loving the beta demo. The new scenario really shows off some cool features and the terrain that is possible in the game. Great choice for the demo!

I have a question that may involve a bug (or just a misunderstanding on my part of global morale). I wondered about this in the beta demo, and it seems to still work in the GD.

Try the following: In turn one, split several squads and give the half-squads orders to go in different directions (or the same direction at different speeds). Then hit "GO!" I see an immediate drop in global morale, on the order of 2-3% for each split squad, despite no casualties. Note that the drop only happens in the execution (movie) phase, though, and not immediately in the orders phase. The effect seems to be reproducible for me in each scenario as each side, though I think that the teams need to have different orders for the decrease in morale. I am fairly certain that this happens even when there are no casualties taken, and even when there is no firing…

Is this a bug or an intentional penalty for splitting squads? My understanding was that global morale was calculated as GM = [(OK troops)/(Total troops)] x 100%. (Or GM = 100% - (casualties / total troops).)

If it matters, I can forward system info.

Thanks very much for the rapid response.

I could see the 'scared' thing. It does suggest that splitting squads late in a battle is a bad, bad move, even though that is when you might need the extra maneuver units.

I was in part confused by this b/c Steve had said in a previous thread that Global Morale reflected headcount:

www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/003715.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you put 'em back together does morale go back up to whatever it was before the split (assuming neither half squad took casualties)?

DjB

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it does (in my experience at least).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> It does suggest that splitting squads late in a battle is a bad, bad move, even though that is when you might need the extra maneuver units. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I'd say that if splitting your squads late in a battle has such a bad effect on your men then you must have already suffered serious losses wink.gif.

And in that case splitting ur survivors into even smaller groups looks like it should hurt global morale wink.gif. It's actually a VERY simple morale system but it works remarkably well since it doesn't really give any results u couldn't agree with if you think about them for a minute.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's actually a VERY simple morale system but it works remarkably well since it doesn't really give any results u couldn't agree with if you think about them for a minute.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it really true that there is no way to improve your morale? I originally expected that capturing victory locations and killing the enemy would improve morale but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can understand why capturing a victory location might not improve a soldier's morale (what does that have to do with my chance of getting killed?) but I would think that I would be more likely to bug out if my side was getting creamed without inflicting any damage and vice versa

Guest Big Time Software

There is no way to improve your own morale. We thought about this a long while ago, but figured it was a can of worms that would likely make things less realistic overall. We wanted to make sure we simulated the kind of mental fatigue that happens after a bloody battle has gone on for a while. Suddenly boosting Global Morale after a lot of casualties seems out of place more often than not.

The only thing you can do is beat the other guy down further without taking many losses of your own. This will put you in a relatively stronger position than your enemy, both in terms of numbers and morale.

Guest Scott Clinton

I never noticed, and have not seen this posted...

But if your "Global Morale" has dropped, and you then receive reinforcements does the "Global Morale" then go up?

To tell the truth, I never noticed.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest tom w

In the beta Demo I have noticed the GM go up after reinforcements arrive in CM and FOR sure in LD for the yanks when those three Hellcats show up.

I have not been watching in the Gold Demo.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

I never noticed, and have not seen this posted...

But if your "Global Morale" has dropped, and you then receive reinforcements does the "Global Morale" then go up?

To tell the truth, I never noticed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of Last Defense, I hope both LD and Reisburg are included

in the full version of the game just so we can play them and see

how they handle differently with the full gold code. They are classic

scenarios and it would be neat to have them in full "gold" glory

to play whenever we want. smile.gif